samandjack.net

Story Notes: okay, I know when I first joined this list I said I'd probably never write anything. But I have. This is the first thing I have ever written and I'm extremely nervous about it. I hope you all like it.

Email: cleody@hotmail.com

Archive: Anywhere I guess, as long as you ask first and it has my name on it.

Disclaimer: Everything in this story that you recognise belongs to MGM, World Gekko Corp and Double Secret Productions. If they did belong to me, Sam and Jack would be a lot more friendly towards each other by now.

Spoilers: None

Category: sort of romantic

Feedback: I'd love to hear what everyone thinks but please if you didn't like it just send constructive criticism.

Copyright Andrea McLeod February, 1999

----- symbolizes change from Jack to 3rd person view


It's my fault. She lies in a coma, halfway between life and death and I can't do a thing about it. They operated on her for two hours, the best doctors, General Hammond said, now all we can do is wait, he said. Well it's hard to wait calmly when you're shit scared. All I can think is that she wouldn't be like this if I'd been a bit more on the lookout, more alert, then he wouldn't have got me, then none of this would've happened. It was just another planet, Daniel had pleaded to be able to stay behind and study some ruins near the gate...



-------



"Okay Carter, you take west, Teal'c take east and I'll take south, go for 15 minutes and then head back here to report, even if you find something of interest!" Jack ordered, he suppressed a grin and then said to, "Have fun with the rocks Daniel! Okay, kids lets move out, see you in half an hour!" Jack laughed to himself as he strode away, hearing Daniel exasperated cry.

"They're ARTIFACTS Jack, ARTIFACTS!"

Jack had been walking for 15 minutes and still he saw nothing of interest, trees, birds, dirt, trees, birds, dirt, a couple of mushrooms... Jack looked down at his watch to see if 15 minutes was up yet and saw a flicker of movement in the reflection of the face. He barely had time to glance up before the blow landed.

Teal'c watched Sam pace the campsite for about the hundredth time since they had come back and had found no O'Neill. He thought to himself that if she were to continue this way it would wear a hole in the ground. Teal'c glanced over to Daniel Jackson and noticed that he too was fiddling nervously. It had been an hour before O'Neill was supposed to be back.

Abruptly Carter stopped pacing. "Okay that's it! He's been gone an hour, we're going after him, and if he's just stopped to be sociable with the natives..." She left the threat in the air but her words hid her worry. "Please just let him be spending some time with the natives." She wished as hard as she could. "Okay guys, head due south! Keep your eyes and ears open!" She commanded with a set expression on her face that was hard to read. Teal'c and Daniel exchanged a look, with O'Neill gone Carter was in charge but they could tell she was as worried as they were.



-----



It's been 28 hours since we came back; Daniel came around about 5 hours ago and told me to get some sleep. He put his hand on my shoulder and told me I couldn't do a thing so I might as well. I'm afraid I lied to him, I told him I'd go to sleep. I wouldn't be able to anyway, not while Sam's like this. If she dies it'll be my fault and I couldn't live with that. Please don't die Sam, I need you.



-----



Jack groaned, his head hurt like hell, it felt like someone had... "Oh that's right," he thought to himself, "Someone did." He opened his eyes and only his long training kept him from screaming in surprise. A face loomed close to him, a face that had VERY bad breath.

The man who the face belonged to began to give an excited tirade. "Yich nana, Yich, viga moto Ichgona! Yich!!!" *Bad, very Bad, you are on my land, Bad!!!*

Jack moved his hand to where his gun should have been, even though he didn't understand what the guy with bad breath was saying he could tell he was crazy. "Oh Shit!" he moaned when he realised his holster was empty. Luckily it seemed he'd dropped his automatic in the forest.

The strange man cackled in glee and then said something, which made him laugh. *I have your firestick! The men who drove me off before had firesticks also. I will use yours to punish you!* The man waved the gun around then pointed it in the air for a test trial.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c made their way through the forest. They'd found Jack's automatic discarded by the path and had none something was wrong. Teal'c had pointed out a prick of light in the dark forest and they had headed towards it. Now they were 100 metres from their goal, a rough looking hut from which firelight spilled. Then the shot rang out, splitting the silence.

"Jack!" Sam screamed before running towards the hut. "Please let him be okay, Please let him be okay." She recited over and over in her mind to the beat of her heart. She barely noticed that Teal'c and Daniel were a few steps behind her.

The crazed man smiled as he heard the woman's voice ring out. He would punish the man in a much crueler way. He addressed Jack, *I will kill your woman with your firestick, then you will mourn with grief until your heart breaks then you will die slowly.*

Jack just stared at him until the man pointed Jack's gun at the door. "No!" Jack screamed just Sam burst in. Their eyes met for a second and she saw the fear in his. "Get out of the way!" he screamed and Sam dived for cover.

The man squeezed off two shots before Teal'c could raise his gun and aim. There was another blast and the madman's body fell to the floor. Jack thought his heart would fall out of his chest and he crawled over to Sam.

Her breath came out in short gasps and she looked pale. "Jack..." she whispered.

"Don't speak you'll be okay, you'll be okay." Jack cradled her against his body and took off his jacket, wrapping it around her. "Please don't let her die." He silently begged whoever was listening.

Sam reached up with one hand to touch his face. "Jack, I..."

"Don't talk, you'll be okay" Sam's eyes closed as she passed out. Jack picked up her limp form, cradling it in his arms. "Daniel, go through the gate and get a medical team prepared, Teal'c watch my back." With a last fearful look Daniel set off running towards the gate.

When they came through Jack was exhausted, he stumbled out with Sam in his arms, Teal'c only a step behind. The medical team took her away and he leant with his hands on his knees trying to get back his breath. General Hammond gave him a startled look then said in a gentle voice. "Go get cleaned up Jack then report to medbay."

Jack walked into the locker room and immediately saw what had shocked General Hammond so much. On his cheek was a handprint of blood. Sam's blood. Jack lowered himself to the floor put his head in his hands and wept.



-----



30 hours and still no change. She looks almost peaceful lying there, like she knows that we got her home. They say that you only truly know what you have when you lose it. That's not entirely true for me, I knew what I couldn't have even before Sam was shot. Because no matter what I can never have her, I'm her commanding officer for god sakes! I never meant to feel this way about her, always told myself to keep my distance. But sometimes that can be awfully hard. Usually I'm fine but sometimes... sometimes she'll smile at me and my breath will catch and I'll forget everything except the fact that I want to kiss her and have her kiss me back until we're both hopelessly out of breath and there's nothing absolutely nothing being held back. But only sometimes, mind you and only for a minute then. She is everything to me, I can confide in her and yet I know she'll tell me if I'm being stupid. She is... there are no words for it. I lean down and whisper in her ear that I love her and I can only hope that she hears.



-----



31 hours after she came after she came out of surgery, Sam woke up. Her eyelids fluttered and she looked up to see Jack dozing in a chair by her bed, he held her hand even as he slept. Sam squeezed his hand and he jumped awake, his eyes wide. Then they focused on her.

"Sam..." he breathed.

She wished he wouldn't do that. He had no idea what he did to her, sometimes the wanting was so bad... She abandoned that line of thought. "I'm here Jack" she said with a faint smile.

They sat there for a minute just smiling at each other.

"I was worried." Jack said, a frown creasing his brow.

"I'm fine now." She assured him, knowing that he needed to be.

"I'll go get Doctor Frasier." Jack said, getting up from his chair, he gave her hand a quick squeeze and dropped it, heading for the door.

"Jack!" Sam called, he turned around. "Get some sleep, you look like hell." She said with a smile.

He grinned and went out, closing the door.

Sam frowned suddenly, while she'd been out of it had he really said that? "It's probably just your wishful thinking." She told herself.

Outside, Jack leaned against her door and smiled. She was going to be alright! And one day he'd tell her. Jack left to find Doctor Frasier then get some sleep.



Finis



Okay there you go, it's a bit longer than I originally meant it to be:) I hope you like it.