samandjack.net

Story Notes: Spoilers: None

Season: Future Season

Author's Note: Thanks MaraJade, Jedi and Lightinglady for your beta powers.


"Nan! Nan!" was heard miles in advance before a petite blond-haired girl came crashing through the front door right into the waiting arms of her favorite person in the whole world, her eighty-nine year old grandmother.

"Oh, Nan it was absolutely horrible. They ... he ... and then she came ... and I said ... and everybody laughed at me and ..." the teenager sobbed it out while taking comfort in the warm hug from the elderly woman.

*Here we go again, Jack,* the grandmother rolled her eyes in mock exasperation while addressing her late husband in silence; *she SO got this from your side of the family.*

Unable to stop a sigh from leaving her lips, she quickly looked down at her youngest grandchild but luckily the girl did not notice anything. Normally she had a lot of patience and time for this grandchild that reminded her so much of Jack O'Neill, but she knew from experience that the child had inherited one very annoying personality trait from her grandfather - melodrama where matters of the heart were concerned.

"There, there, it couldn't have been that bad. Why don't you come and help me finish preparing dinner, child. Then you can tell me all the horror of what happened at the coffee shop. Besides I'm expecting your folks back from work any moment now."

The girl took a deep sniff, scrunched up her forehead and looked up into the kind dark-blue eyes of her grandmother.

"No disrespect Nan, but you started ... dinner? As in food? As in stuff that you intend for the family to consume tonight? Maybe I should have a look at it first and you can sit at the table while we chat, what do you say?"

Putting an arm around the shoulders of her fifteen year old granddaughter, Samantha O'Neill smiled and muttered, "Smarty pants," before leading the way to the kitchen.

*****

A few minutes later



" ... so you see Nan it was horrible, an absolute nightmare. I'm never, ever going on another date with a boy again. Dating is overrated anyway."

Chuckling under her breath, Sam was unable to resist replying in a pretend serious tone, "So I guess that means you'll be dating girls from now on?"

"Wh-at ... NO!" the granddaughter almost shouted it out, "Grandma, please! You aren't taking my pain serious here. First dates are supposed to be perfect and look at how mine turned out to be. I'll never, ever allow myself to be humiliated like that again ... never."

"Okay, besides the fact that you've used the words 'never, ever' way too many times already, what gave you the idea that first dates were supposed to be perfect?"

"Well for starters you always rant about how you and grandpa met and fell in love. And when grandpa, Jack was still alive he used to love telling me the story of how PER-FECT you first date was and ..."

Sam held up her hand to quiet the streams of words, "So my child, you believe Grandma, Sam and Grandpa, Jack's first date was perfect? Maybe it's time to let you in on the truth of what really happened that day."

Not waiting for any acknowledgement from her grandchild she immediately continued with her reminiscing of the past.

"Let me see, if I remember correctly it was the Christmas Eve of 2004. The war was over. Your grandfather and I were no longer in the same chain of command and Uncle Daniel revealed that he had the ability to be underhanded ... "

*****

Forty years ago



"Major Carter ... it is twenty-three hundred hours. Daniel Jackson instructed me to come and get you by whatever means necessary."

The dark Jaffa stood in the doorway of the said Major's lab. His arms were folded across his chest, his whole body language suggesting that he had every inclination of following through with the orders."

"Hmm," was the only reply that he received from somewhere close by. A pair of feminine legs sticking out from underneath some alien technology suggested that there was indeed a living being present in the room.

"Major Carter, is this not the eve of one of the Tauri people's most important days of the year?"

"Hmmmmmmmm," he heard another mumbled response.

'At least this time the response was exactly 1.2 seconds longer than before," Teal'c could not help but ponder. Sighing he decided to try another tactic to get her to acknowledge her inescapable duty; maybe utilize a trick that he had kept to the side in case of an emergency.

"Samantha Carter, is it not the truth that you and O'Neill have had unresolved feelings for each other for the past few years?"

Taking a step to one side, the warrior mentally prepared himself for the anticipated 'explosion' that would surely followed on this unexpected statement from him.

A loud very painful bang vibrated through the air - the result of a certain female figure trying to force herself way too hastily out from underneath her work space. As a result her head had connected with a loose hanging, metallic board at a sickening speed.

"Wh-at? Teal'c ...," rubbing at the bruise that was already forming on her forehead, she opened her mouth to try and say something else but instead the words come out as, " .... uh ... crap ... what did ... wh-a-t, what ... Teal'c?"

The Jaffa could not help but allow a small smile to decorate his lips. He did get a certain satisfaction from rattling his friends every so often.

Clearing his throat to get her attention once more Teal'c decided to push his luck a little bit more, "Major Carter, you and Colonel O'Neill lost the bet on PX-9430 last week, did you not? Did both of you not agree to accept whatever punishment Daniel Jackson decided to bestow on you? He had announced that very same day that both of you must attend a dinner for two, during midnight on Christmas Eve, this year. Are you now planning to go back on your honorary word as a warrior, which was given regarding this matter?"

Sam lifted herself from the floor and walked over to a mirror that was stationed in the corner of her lab. Her eyes widened in shock as she noticed the nasty bruise that were staring teasingly back at her. Cursing softly underneath her breath her shaking hands started exploring the painful edges, anything was better than trying to answer the unaccustomed questions from her friend.

Seconds led to minutes.

Minutes led to a quarter of an hour.

After a while she realized that one could only explore a superficial injury so far. She could also sense the towering presence still standing behind her. It was very much evident that he had no intention of leaving her sanctuary any time soon.

Sam combed a nervous hand through her blond hair and pulled her shoulders back in an attempt at not appearing unnerved. She turned around to face her guard, who was obviously planning to use whatever means possible to force her to attend this nightmare looming in the nearby future.

For a while they just stared at each other, Teal'c eventually bowed his head slightly, pointed one arm in the direction of the exit, and announced, "It is time."

"Humph," was all she was able, and willing, to comment. Inwardly she was horrified at the realization that she would have no choice but to actually endure the torment that was planned for her.

Illogical thoughts ran rampant through her head.

*Where was a Goa'uld invasion when you needed it, or better - ALIEN ENTITIES - I'm here - INVADE ME!*

She refused to acknowledge the little voice hidden, deep within her subconscious. It was at that moment singing a joyful song of celebration. It recognized the fact that she had, after all these years, finally reached that all-important metaphorical fork in the road.

"As they walked out of the lab and down the corridor one could hear her comment bitterly, "Teal'c, I swear if you and Daniel weren't two of my best friends ... "

*****

"Ahem.

- Pause -

'Cough, cough.

- Pause -

'J-aaaa-ck ...

- An even longer pause followed -

Ja ..."

A hand went up, "Ah."

"But Ja ... "

"Ah, ah ... I don't want to hear."

"Jack ... "

"Daniel, I swear if you so much as open your mouth one more time, I won't be held responsible for my actions."

"Jack, please ... "

"Daniel, that was not an idle threat."

The younger man sighed and walked over to where his friend was sitting with his head supported between two hands.

"Okay, listen. I know that you are at this moment furious at me but just give me a change to explain."

"Furious? Me? Whatever gave you that impression? I'm not furious at you - that was last's week's emotion. At this moment I'm screaming mad, enough to strangle you given enough motivation."

*At least after all this time he's finally able to look me in the eyes again,* the archeologist thought, but with a big lump in his throat.

Deciding that it was best to ignore the fire burning in Jack O'Neill's eyes, Daniel decided to press on.

"How many years have you and Sam been dancing around the issue of your feelings for each other?"

The former leader of SG-1 wanted to interrupt once more but the Doctor just continued onwards like a train unable to stop in its tracks once started.

"Wait! Let me finish here, Jack. For the last year you and Sam have been outside of the chain of command, which means no military rules apply anymore, but still you guys just keep on circumventing each other. For what reason, I'm asking you?"

A "you are so dead meat," left Jack O'Neill's lips and with a menacing stance he lifted himself from his chair to stand towering over the younger and much smaller built Dr Jackson.

Swallowing the ever increasing lump in his throat Daniel took a step backwards, almost tripping over a chair behind him, and rumbled on.

"I-I know that when Teal'c and I dared you guys to that bet it was with an ulterior motive but at that time both of us agreed that it was for a noble cause. We only had the best interest of both of you at heart."

"Oh really? I would've never guessed," came a soft, sarcastic feminine reply from somewhere behind his back.

Daniel's eyes widened at the realization that the owner of that very familiar voice must have been standing there, listening to his conversation, for a very, very, *very* long time.

Groaning a barely audible "oh boy", he darted his gaze downwards and then up again to stare at Jack. "Sam?" he mouthed softly and received an affirmative nod of the head.

With a big smile, that did not reach further than his lips, he spun around to face the latest arrivals, two arms stretching out in what he hoped appeared to be a warm welcome.

"SAM! I'm so glad you were able to make it."

"Judas," she acknowledged him with a sideward stiff glance, before forcing her way passed him to enter the room.

Teal'c followed immediately afterwards, at a much slower space. He raised a questioning eyebrow at Daniel but only received a shrug in response.

Counting silently to ten, Daniel braced himself and turned around slowly to face the two ominous dark clouds hovering behind his back.

Both of them were standing with their arms crossed and as far away from each other as was humanly possible within the confines of the small space. It was also of no surprise that two pairs of eyes were glaring at him, most probably considering a million ways to seek revenge on him after that day.

"Right," he uttered the first word that came to mind.

Glancing up at his partner in crime he continued, "Teal'c, shall we go over the details once more?"

The Jaffa, a small smile barely lining the corners of his lips, replied, "I concur Daniel Jackson. You have my permission to proceed."

Reaching out a hand to pat his friend on the back, the archeologist stated solemnly, but not without a little bit of sarcasm, "Why thank you, Master Teal'c. I'm indeed honored."

Looking back at his friends he proceeded, "Guys, the deal was as follows. On Christmas Eve, 'round about midnight, both of you would spend at least five hours locked up in the presence of each other's company. Please bear in mind that both Teal'c and myself have spent an enormous amount of time and energy in transforming my office as a suitable location for your imprisonment. As you can see a table has been set up the middle decorated with a wide variety of delicacies and drinks, all for your benefit. I would hate to see so much food go to waste. Just think about all the poor hungry children in the Galaxy that would give their right arms to be able to enjoy such a meal. I feel it is only my duty to remind you that as leaders of your respective fields that you should set an example to the rest of us."

A few unladylike snorts and "YeahSureWhatever" from a former Colonel met his attempt at dry humor.

Daniel grinned, revealing in the role he was playing, and made a wide pompous wave of his arm across the room, "So please ... eat ... drink and enjoy yourselves. I insist."

"Indeed," Teal'c added from his side.

Waving his hand at his friends, Daniel turned around and proceeded to leave his office.

"Are you coming?" he shouted over his shoulder at the Jaffa.

Teal'c gave his friends one last, almost pitiful, look.

"O'Neill ... Major Carter. This room will be unlocked at exactly o'five hundred hours. Of that you have my word."

With a nod of his head he followed in the archeologist's footsteps and the last words that he heard from his friends, in particular Jack O'Neill, before locking the door was, "Just so you know Teal'c, buddy! I won't forget this any time soon ... "

*****

The door locked with a loud resounding boom, followed immediately by an all powerful silence descending on the room.

For a couple of seconds the man and woman remained cemented in their respective positions. Their appearances were that of living statues. Only the nervous twitching of an eyelid and the uncontrollable jumping of a facial muscle revealed that there was indeed still life flowing through their veins.

It was eventually Jack that made the first attempt to break through the heavy atmosphere.

Leaning his back against a wall, he pulled out a multicolored yo-yo, and with the ease of years' experience pulled off a series of awe- inspiring maneuvers. Every now and again the toy would go galloping off in a wild direction, right through some discarded paperwork of Daniel's. The result was sheets of paper flying in all directions.

Licking his lips, eyeing the flash of blond from the corner of one eye, Jack decided to push his luck a little bit further. A pack of officially marked files balanced on the edge of a bookcase provided him with the perfect opportunity. Timing it carefully he tipped the corner of the pack with his trustworthy companion. The following almost earsplitting noise assisted a great deal to gratify his lust for revenge against a certain archeologist. Unable to stop a wild grin from spreading across his face he bolted his fist slightly in the air and exclaimed, "Strike!"

"Feeling better now ... Sir?" came a sarcastic dry remark.

"Do I detect a hint of jealousy, Major," he threw back at her. Turning around to face his former second-in-command he raised an eyebrow to accent his statement.

"About what? Your dubious talent of wrecking Daniel's office with a toy or your ability of bringing out your inner child at the best…or wait should I rather say worst of times? Please feel free to explain that to me."

"That would be 'please explain that to me Sir.' " he was unable to prevent the snappish reply from rolling off his lips. He immediately regretted his words and wanted to apologize but was immediately interrupted.

"Oh plu-hease, no-way I'm going to keep up that charade. I didn't ask to be here and besides you are no longer my commanding officer."

For a while they just glared at each other. Each one daring the other one to take the next steps.

*She is truly beautiful when she's angry,* an unexpected thought blasted itself into his consciousness. For a moment he just stared at her speechless.

Sam must have sensed something was wrong because she backed off a little bit and her whole face twisted in a frown.

"What? What are you looking at?"

"Nothing," he answered softly.

After a long uncomfortable silence Jack spoke up again.

"Uh ... well ... I guess we can't let all of this food go to waste. So shall we ..." he concluded, pointing his hand in the direction of the table.

A whispered, "Yes Sir," reached his ears. Both of them were very much aware of the sudden tension in the air.

For the next hour they sat in utter silence. Neither of them was really hungry but the act of putting food in one's mouth was preferable above trying to start conversation under the dire circumstances, not to mention the effects that the confined space had on their deepest darkest thoughts.

"Now I remember!"

Jack was so caught up in his own sulking that at first he was absolutely clueless as to what his fellow detainee was talking about.

"What?"

He must have caught Sam by surprise too because she looked at him with confusement written all over her delicate facial features.

"What?" she replied back.

Feeling irritation biting at his patience he sighed, took a deep breath and looked up to lock eyes with her.

"You said you remember something, wanna share it with the rest of the world?"

For a second she just stared at him before suddenly adverting her eyes. It was not before Jack detected a light rosary-pink blush developing over her cheeks.

"The Major is human after all," he could not prevent himself from muttering under his breath.

'HEY! I heard that," Sam replied, her blush steadily being replaced with a now red indignation spreading like wildfire.

"So ... " he shot back at her. Inwardly he was berating himself for acting in such a childish fashion. He was also unable to explain why he and Sam were at each other's throats for the uttermost time.

*Crap,* Her eyes refused to meet his and having known her for so many years he detected the slight tremor in her stiff body - a clear indication that he had hurt her feelings.

"Uh ... listen Carter ... uh ... I'm sorry 'k," the last few words were spoken softly and gentle.

"It was during the time-loop ... the debriefing room ... you looked at me the same way," the words came out whispered, barely audible.

He had two choices.

Deny everything, but the chances are good that Sam would sense the lie for what it is.

Tell the truth. Well he could only imagine how that scenario would turn out.

Either way he was going to loose out - big time.

Well maybe there was a third option ...

"What are you talking about?"

*Oh yeah. Faking ignorance was always a winner ...*

"Just leave it," came a quiet reply.

*...Or not, Do'h.*

A long silence followed. Jack could feel a sickly feeling at bottom of his stomach. He did not know whether it was from what has just occurred or the fact that he was forcing food down his throat, despite the fact that he was feeling already very stuffed.

When he finally spoke up he could not believe the confession that rolled out of his mouth.

"You are right, Sam. I did stare at you but I had my reasons...then and now."

Light-blue eyes shot up in astonishment. Whether it was due to his unaccustomed use of her name or the deeper meaning that his words held he had no idea.

"Sir?"

Jumping up from his seat he started pacing the length of the room. That nauseous feeling was threatening to overwhelm him.

"Sir?" Sam queried once more.

"Just give me a chance here, okay?"

"Ah Sir ... "

"Carter ... I'm trying to tell you something."

"I appreciate that Sir but ... I'm not feeling so good."

Turning to have a good look at her Jack noticed for the first time how his former second-in-command has turned ash-white. Crossing the short distance between them, he reached out a hand to touch her forehead - it was burning hot.

"Sir, I think you should back off," she croaked through chalk-white lips.

"Carter, can we just forget for a second what just happened and focus on you instead."

"You, you don't understand. I really think you should back off," this time there was a definitely sense of urgency in her words.

"Ah for crying out loud. I know I hurt you feelings but you are really sick ... "

And then it happened.

Orange, brown and yellow fluids mixed with strange-looking crunchy pieces suddenly rained down on him without warning.

For a moment he was stunned, unable to comprehend as to what has just happened. One hand reached out to touch the liquid dripping down from him - it was hot and sticky.

Then the smell hit him.

Vomit.

Definitely vomit.

His former second-in-command, Major Samantha Carter, has decorated his hair, face and clothing with good old-fashioned vomit.

Feeling warmly wetness making its way down an eyebrow he closed his eye and discreetly wiped away at it, trying in the process not to think about what his hand was actually touching.

"Oh ... I'm so sorry Sir."

Two unnaturally wide dark-blue eyes looked up at him. Shock was registered all over her face.

Swallowing he replied through clutched teeth, "No sweat. Guess I should have listened to that warning."

"L-let ... let me help you clean up," Sam stuttered and rushed over to a sink in the corner.

She rinsed her mouth a few times to get rid of the worst of the vomit taste.

Looking around all that she was able to find was a very old T-shirt of Daniel that was laying around. She wetted it, hoping that her friend did not have any sentimental values attached to the piece of clothing.

Running back to the very stoic looking Jack O'Neill she started wiping away at her mess, which has started running down his clothes in big chunks. She was in such a state, tears of shame very close to breaking free; that she did not notice the direction her hand was wandering.

"Uh Carter ..." it came at first, very reserved.

"Sir, I'm so sorry, but to be honest I did try to warn you first," she knew she was rambling on but fear would do that to the best of person.

"We can discuss it later but maybe you should look at what you're doing," he tried once more.

Maybe it was the fact that she was fighting against the stupid tears that she was unable to pick up the strange tone in his voice.

"I'm ... I'm trying my best here, Sir. The worst of it should be cleaned pretty soon."

Jack could feel himself go hot and cold simultaneously as the hand reached closer and closer to that certain 'spot' - a fantasy he had only dreamed about until that day. For a while he even considered as to whether it was actually such a bad idea to let the Major make up, in such a unique way, for having thrown up all over him. It was when he felt the heat igniting earth-wise that he could no longer control himself.

With an almost girlish yelp he jumped sidewise. Grabbing the piece of clothing from the Major's hand at the same time he took over the job she has started, this time at a furious pace. The fact that it just so happened to cover a certain 'strategic' mishap was definitely a bonus at that moment.

"Sir? What's wrong," She looked at him confused at first but then slowly understanding broke through.

"Oh," was all she could say. Standing up slowly she walked to the closest chair and sat down in stunned silence. She turned her back towards him to allow some sense of privacy.

After a few minutes of intensive cleaning and strings of curses being uttered from under his breath Jack finally gave up and pulled off his shirt in a last effort to get rid off the mess that was all over him.

Luckily Daniel had turned up the heat of the air conditioner therefore he did not feel the cold of the outside winter on his bare chest.

Noticing Sam's bent back he felt regret pouring over his soul and crossed the distance until he was able to take a seat opposite her.

"Listen ... uh ... no harm was done ... let's say we just forget about what happened."

At first it appeared as if she was trying to ignore him. Eventually she looked up and he could see two rows of tears that were running down her cheeks.

"I-I ... " she stuttered.

As if by own record his hand reached out to trace away the wetness. Swallowing he decided to follow the safer route in his next few words.

"Carter, don't worry. I think you just had a bad reaction to the food. It happens to the best of us. If it would make you feel better I was actually considering swapping bodily fluids with you there for a while too."

*Oh brother. That didn't came out the way he meant it.*

Those beautiful blue eyes widened for the uttermost time in shock and disbelief.

"Uh ... That's not what I mean," it was his turn to stutter.

A half-moon smile started spreading across her face.

"What I meant is that I was nauseous there for a while too."

"It's okay Sir. I understand."

"You do?" It was only then that he registered the smile beaming at him. A sheepish grin started forming on his face in reply.

"Sweet," he added quickly. Just in case she did not catch his meaning the first time around.

For a while they just sat in their respective positions, each one unsure as to how to proceed from there.

Feeling discomfort creeping up on him once more Jack decided to chance the topic.

"So we have another three hours or so to go," he stated while pretending to look at his watch in deep concentration.

"Or so," Sam agreed.

"What shall we do to pass the time," he tried once more.

"I don't know, any ideas."

"Well I feel it is safe to say both of us don't want to eat any more of Daniel's food."

"You are right again."

"Uh ... Carter whatya doing?" Jack was at first unsure but now he was absolutely sure that her head was etching closer and closer to his.

"Just passing time as ordered," a mischievous gleam shone from her eyes, "Any objection ... Sir?"

Swallowing he could only manage a, "No ... nope ... don't think so."

"Good," she whispered before breaching that final gap between them.

It was at that moment that the klaxons started blaring throughout the SGC complex.

- Thump! -

"Ah!"

"Ouch!"

"Carter!"

"Sorry Sir."

"I can't believe you just did that."

"Well ... if you had turned your face our noses wouldn't have connected like that."

"That stupid blare caught me offguard ... okay! Besides you should have known better."

"You're actually trying to blame this on me. Why aren't I surprise?"

"You're the astrophysicist. You're supposed to know more about physics than I do."

"Off all the stupid arguments I've ever heard in my life."

"Well, it's true."

"You are such an arrogant son of a ... I can't believe we almost kissed there fore a second."

"You initiate it."

"It wasn't like you were an unwilling partner."

- Cluck -

Before either of them could say anything more the door to the office unlocked and open to reveal a very flushed Daniel.

"Guys, I'm sorry to interrupt but there's an emergency ... " as he entered he took note of Jack's state of undress and his close proximity to Sam.

"Oh ... oh ... oh I'm so sorry," he squeaked, "I-I-I swear I didn't see anything."

Sighing Jack stood, stretched and sent one last glare in Sam's direction before walking passed Daniel.

"Don't worry Space-Monkey. Nothing happened. The Major just decided to puke on me, that's all."

With those last few words he walked out of the doorway. Two unfortunate airmen that happened to pass his way at that specific moment were snapped at in his best Colonel voice, "What are you looking at!"

"Nothing ... nothing Sir," was the last that both Sam and Daniel heard before both parties disappeared from view.

"Sam?" Daniel queried and turned to face her.

"Don't ask Daniel," she replied but a mysterious smile was plastered all over her face.

"Oka-ay," as they both leave the room and proceeded to follow in the Colonel's footsteps he could not help but inquire a bit more, "So how did it go?"

"Let's just say it was a date from hell."

"That bad. I'm sorry to hear that."

"No-no not at all. It was actually quite promising ... "

*****

Pulling herself back from the past the eighty-nine year old Samantha O'Neill wiped away at a tear that had formed at the corner of her eye.

It was some days still very difficult for her to her to believe that her husband was no longer at her side.

"Nan, you okay?" A young hand came resting on her wrinkled hand.

"Yes. I just missed your grandfather there for a second," she replied in a sad tone, "Don't worry I'm fine."

"Nan ... "

"Yes?"

"What you just told me .... "

"What about it?" Sam stared down at her granddaughter, wondering what was to follow.

"Was it the whole truth?"

"Yes it was, why are you asking?"

"Nothing," came the whispered reply.

Touching her grandchild's chin gentle with two fingers she lifted it.

"Hey baby what's wrong?"

Being forced to face her grandmother she swallowed before continuing, "It is just that ... "

"Yes?" Sam interrupted in an attempt to coach her in telling what was bothering her.

"Grandma the story was nice but totally unbelievable. I appreciate what you tried to do but you didn't need to make it up on my behalf."

"What are you talking about? I was telling you the whole truth, I swear."

Before Sam could say anything more two young arms wrapped around her in a hug.

"Dot worry Nan. I still enjoyed it though. And by the way, Merry Christmas!"

Smiling Sam hugged her back and replied back, "Merry Christmas to you too," silently she added to that, "And to you too Jack, wherever you are."