samandjack.net

Story Notes: Season/Sequel Info: Season 4

Spoilers: None

Archive: Sam and Jack, Heliopolis


In Major Samantha Carter's opinion, Valentine's Day sucked. In years past, it really hadn't bothered her that there was no one to send her flowers or boxes of chocolates, but this year things had changed. She dreaded seeing the other women on base receiving flowers from their significant others and knowing that the man she wanted for her significant other couldn't be that to her. All in all, the whole situation sucked big time.

Sighing heavily, Sam opened the door to the astrophysics lab, walked in, and flicked on the light. And gasped.

There, sitting on her work table was the biggest bouquet of long-stemmed red roses she'd ever seen in her life. There had to be three dozen of them, artfully arranged in a crystal vase.

"It's gotta be a mistake," she muttered to herself. Walking over, she reached for the card stuck among the flowers. Nope, there was her name written in all caps on the envelope, "Major Samantha Carter." Her curiosity piqued, and a feeling of excitement curling in the pit of her stomach, she opened the envelope. "'Thinking of you,'" she read aloud. No signature on the card, but the handwriting was familiar. Sam was musing over this when she heard a knock at the door. She turned to see who it was, and smiled at the curious face of Daniel Jackson.

"Wow!" he exclaimed, coming in to look at the huge bouquet of flowers. "These are yours?"

"Evidently." She showed him the card.

"No signature, huh?" he asked, handing it back to her. "Any idea who might have sent them?" Just as he asked the question, another knocked sounded on the door. Both he and Sam turned to see Colonel Jack O'Neill standing in the doorway. "Hi, Jack."

"Hello, sir," Sam said, smiling at her CO.

"Hey!" Jack came into the room. "Just wanted to remind you about the briefing at 1000." His eyebrow lifted and he gestured to the flowers. "Nice flowers."

"Yes, sir, they are," Sam answered. "They're very beautiful. I love roses."

"Secret admirer?" he asked with a smile.

Sam smiled back. "Something like that, sir."

"Well, I guess he just wanted to let you know he was thinking of you," Jack said, a little uncertainly it seemed to Daniel, which was odd.

"I appreciate that he was thinking of me, sir." A light blush covered Sam's cheeks. "I just want to let him know that."

"I'm sure he knows, Carter." Jack looked at Daniel, as if realizing that he was still standing there. "Anyone for breakfast?"

"Sure, sir," Sam answered. "I'm starving."

"Daniel?" Jack prompted his friend.

"Uh, yeah, me, too," Daniel told him. "You two go on ahead. I'll be there in a few minutes." Sam and Jack headed out the door, and Daniel looked at the flowers again, reading the card one more time. That handwriting looked awfully familiar. Could it be . . .?

"Nah," he shook his head. "Couldn't be." He laid down the card and started to follow his friends to breakfast, then stopped. "Wait a minute. Sam gets huge bouquet of roses, Jack comes in, sees them and DOESN"T go ballistic. I wonder . . ."

And he left for breakfast pondering this mystery.

**********

The End