samandjack.net

Story Notes: Ginamarie (Starbuck1031@hotmail.com)

Archive: Heliopolis, SJ, anywhere else, just let me know

Note: This fic is *somewhat* inspired by "Time of Your Life" by Green Day. It contains one line from the song and I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to pass the line off as my own. Chocolate oranges to those who know what line it is :)


The days fly by like leaves blowing in the wind, effortlessly, with no set path, yet continuously moving forward. I don't even bother to sort them out. I'm having the time of my life: me and you, and the the universe before us.

"What should we do today, sir? Save the world?"

"Nah," you reply. "Done that, it's kinda gettin' old." We flash each other smiles as we step into the wormhole. Another day, another planet, another alien culture to befriend.

The mission goes without a hitch. Daniel, with his unwavering diplomacy, manages to secure us a large amount of Naquada in exchange for needed medical supplies. Seems this culture has yet to develope penecillin. It's actually quite remarkable that they've advanced so far in all scientific areas for the exception of biology and medicine. "Sweet." you say, as Daniel and Teal'c dial us up and we step through with a final wave to the locals. Hockey game's tonight, and we'll have just enough time to debrief with Hammond, and shower before the game starts.

But, when I arrive to the other side, I'm hit with a sudden dose of reality. A pair of glowing eyes shine bright amidst the darkened ruins of the SGC. So much for that hockey game.

I hear the clanking of metal to my left before I see them; their armor reflecting the blinking emergency lights of the gate room. My hand immediately reaches for my zat gun and my legs are ready to dive for cover. You fire, I fire. The room becomes a tumult of staff blasts, zat blasts, and bullets.

I manage to get take one down before I'm sent flying over the side of the ramp. I land with a hard thud, and a fiercly painful staff burn. I'm dizzy, but I can still see straight enough to notice how the floor around me is littered with bodies, most of them in SGC uniforms.

A fraction of a second later, you land next to me. With an equally painful looking burn on your abdomen. I hear you groan with pain. The world all around me continues to spin and you look up. Our eyes meet, conveying the reality of the situation we're in. The SGC has been overtaken. You're hurt, I'm hurt.

There's no way out of this one. Time's up.

My fingers reach out for your hand, grasping it tightly, with an understanding only possible between two people who have suddenly come to terms with their mortality.

I take one last look at your eyes, your mouth, your hair. I want to remember them forever.

Then, we rise together, amidst the crossfire, one last time, and fire our zats like hell. I see the guards fall, one after the other after the other. The pain in my side is almost unbearable, but I keep firing. We can't give up, even if it is hopeless. Otherwise, our deaths would be in vain. The lights and the sound all fade to a surreal dream as two jolts of fire hit my body, both of them in my chest, and I fall to the ground.

Maybe I took life too lightly. I don't think I ever really paid attention to that eternal clock ticking away the seconds of the universe. Looking back now, I realize I never experienced what it was like to get married, I never had children, I never saw the Eiffel Tower. I gave up so much for this life.

I do admit however, that the life I chose did give me something in return. This life gave me you, and for what it's worth, it was worth all the while.

But it doesn't matter now. Nothing does, nor will anything matter ever again. It's finished and I close my eyes to be enveloped by darkness forever.



End Notes: So, didya like it? Didya hate it? Let me know! Starbuck1031@hotmail.com

-Ginamarie- AMA Vice President http://www.geocities.com/solitarygirl42