samandjack.net

Story Notes: SEASON: 6

SPOILERS: Frozen

PREQUEL: This is a companion piece to "At what cost?".

STATUS: Complete
NOTES: Once again, thanks to Alli for the beta and the kind words.


Wait and See
Copyright (c) by LouisaLee
July 2002

When Thoran said that the Colonel was beyond the aid of the hand device and that a Tok'ra symbiote was our last hope, my heart sank. The Colonel would never agree. His opinion of the Tok'ra is an extension of his hatred of the Goa'uld, especially after what Hathor did to him. There's still the possibility that Ayiana could heal him. But no, Jonas just brought us the news that she's dead. Has the Colonel's chances for recovery gone with her?

Then I hear the General say we may have to decide for the Colonel. Thoran tries to reassure us that the symbiote would never stay with an unwilling host. It would stay long enough to heal the Colonel and then leave when another host is found or sacrifice itself if one is not found in a reasonable time. Thoran adds that the symbiote has vital information to the Tok'ra and I can tell that they need us as much as we need them.

I'm still not sure there's enough of an argument to persuade the Colonel, but I think the General would be willing to accept it. He knows of the Colonel's importance to the SGC, to SG-1, to Teal'c and Janet and Cassie, and even to Jonas. I hope he doesn't realize just how important the Colonel is to me.

I wonder how the General plans to get the Colonel to accept the symbiote. He's in the position to make it happen - whether the Colonel wants it to or not. There's a part of me that wants this to happen as well and damn the consequences. However, the Colonel deserves a chance to decide for himself, so I speak up. Then the General calls me into his office. I thought perhaps he was going to tell me that he'd already decided for the Colonel - that the potential military benefits outweighed any arguments the Colonel might have and he didn't want to take the chance of the Colonel refusing. But no, I can't believe what I've heard. He wants me to present the arguments to the Colonel! I protest, but he smiles wryly at me. In that one look, I know he wants me to use any means I have to persuade the Colonel to accept the symbiote. Then I realize, he knows ... he knows. But does he know just how much I want him to make the decision to keep Jack alive? Because if I can convince Jack to do this, what will happen to the friendship ... the relationship ... that we have? I have to push aside my emotions. I'm a soldier and soldiers do what they've been ordered to do.

So, here I am beside Jack. Even as sick as he is, there's something about him that reaches out to me. Janet administers the drug. I tell him about the benefits of blending with the Tok'ra and how the symbiote would only blend long enough to cure him, but I'm not sure if Jack's heard me. For a moment, I hope once again that the General will have to make the decision for Jack - and I marvel at my selfishness. Then Jack says my name and my heart races, needing to hear him agree. But then he speaks the words I'd been dreading to hear. So I tell him of the important information the symbiote has and I realize it's not enough. His words echo in my mind, "... dead body." Now I have no choice but to ask for myself and pray that will give Jack a reason to go on. "Sir ... please" my voice breaks a bit at the words and I stare into his half-open eyes. Will he agree? Will he try to live, for me? He nods once and I wish I could tell him what this means to me. But what will this mean to our relationship? I'll just have to wait and see.