samandjack.net

Story Notes: Bold write is for personal thought.

A special good going for a Civilian, she has watched "Point of View" for the 16th time, when she hits twenty, we will have a party. I thought this up as I was camping this weekend. Now, on with the show!


The fire was the only light to be seen for miles as it glowed brightly in the forest. Around it sat four people, three men and on woman, who were dressed in military fatigues. They ate quietly, only pausing briefly to take a sip of water from their canteens.

When they were finished, Colonel O'Neill looked at everyone. "Ok, campers, who's going to tell the first story? Any takers?" The team looked around.

"Stories?" Teal'c asked.

Jack grinned. "Yeah Teal'c. It's a tradition to tell scary stories well sitting around a campfire. You're also supposed to roast marshmallows and have s'mores, but we don't have any of them. I forgot that you don't do that on your planet. This will be a new experience for you."

"I'll tell the first one Jack. Since Teal'c hasn't heard any of these before, I get to tell a classic." Daniel states, the firelight playing off of his glasses.

Jack leaned back against a log and stretched out his legs. "Ok, Danny, but just make sure it's a scary one. And Carter?" He looked her way before she could get all the way to her feet. "Everyone gets a turn."



*******
A classic
******



A groan came from the Major as Daniel begun.

"Back in the 1950's, teenagers used to go up to a high place in town known as 'Makeout Point'. When they arrived, they would park their cars so they could look over the city, but that's not all they did. Guys brought girls there so they could 'score' with them or have sex. Well one night a teenage boy took his girlfriend up to makeout point. The radio they were listening to as they kissed suddenly stopped playing music.

A radio announcer came on: 'We interrupt this song with an important news bulletin. This just in, a physco killer has just fled the Montgomery Asylum. He is very dangerous and could be around this area. One identifying mark is his right hand. He lost it in an accident and had it replaced with a hook. We repeat, David Brown has escaped from the Montgomery Asylum and is extremely dangerous. Lock all your doors and windows, we will bring you more information as the story progresses.'

The couple sat there in silence. 'Tommy, that asylum is ten miles from here. I'm scared.'

Tommy put his arms around his girlfriend, Kim. 'Don't worry Kim, he won't come here.'

Well, after a while, they forgot about it and were kissing heavily when there was a nose on Kim's side of the car. 'Tommy, did you hear that?' she asked, breaking away from him. They waited a while, but heard nothing.

'It's just your imagination,' but then he heard it.

'Let's get out of here Tommy!' So he started up the car and took off. As they got going, you could hear this metal clang against Kim's door. Tommy pulled up at her house, got out, and went around to open her door, but there on the door handle was a hook with blood dripping off the bottom."

Daniel paused. "The end."



*******
Sam's baby-sitting blues
*******



O'Neill shook his head. "I always thought that that one was real. They just changed the name of the asylum for a different town."

Sam shuttered. "I hate that one, it's just to spooky."

Teal'c raised an eyebrow and looked at his friends.

"Is that a true story Daniel Jackson?"

The archeologist sighed, "Some believe so Teal'c, others say no, but all stories have an element of truth in them. That's why they call them, 'urban legends." He said in his matter-of-fact tone.

"Ok, Sam, it's your turn." Jack said happily.

Carter glared. "Do I have to sir?"

All he did was nod.

"A few years ago a young girl about 16 years old was baby-sitting for her neighbor. She had just put the six and three year olds down for the night, when there was a phone call. 'Oh no, I better get that before it wakes the kids,' She said and ran down the stairs. 'Hello?' she asked into the phone.

A deep, harsh voice said, 'Hello, are you alone in the house?'

The girl groaned and thought it was a prank phone call, so she hung up.

About two hours later there was another call. 'Hello?' 'Hello, I'm going to kill you too.' It was the same voice again and she hung up. 'It's just a prank, that's all.' The girl said to herself, 'Only one more hour and I can leave.'

The phone rang 30 minutes after that and Mary jumped. She picked it up and the voice asked, 'Mary, do you know where the children are?' She was so frightened, that she didn't notice he had used her real name.

This time when she hung up, she called the operator and asked her where the calls were coming from. Two minutes later, the operator called her and said she had to get out of the house, she had called the police and they would be there any second.

Mary said no, she had to get the children, but he operator insisted that she get out now. The girl didn't listen though, and ran up the stairs. She opened the door to the room and told the kids to get up, but the bodies just lay there. She then shook the tree year old and saw that his head had been cut off. The six-year-old girl was the same.

She screamed as she saw their bodies and felt the breeze from the window that was now open. Mary ran down stairs and out of the house as the police pulled up.

'They're dead! The kids are dead!' She cried hysterically.

The police officer took her in his arms. 'We figured that much. The operator called and told us that the calls were coming from up stairs.' There was a look of horror on the baby-sitter's face. The end."



*******
High Beams, Jack style
*****



Daniel hit himself in the forehead with the palm of his hand. "Of course, I forgot about that one, that was good Sam."

The major smiled proudly. "Thank you Daniel."

Teal'c looked at Jack, "I believe it is now your turn O'Neill."

The colonel clapped his hands and rubbed them together, smiling wickedly.

"Good, because I have one of my favorites. When I was in high school, we used to have dances every Friday and Saturday night. Well, one night at the Saturday dance, this girl, Martha Mackenzie decided to leave early. She got into her parents' new car and locked the door. A guy watched her get into the car and put out his cigarette.

Martha had gotten about five miles down the road when she noticed that the guy from the dance had followed her. 'Maybe he's just going the same way I am.' She thought because quite a few kids lived at the other end of town. Just then, the driver put on his high beams at her.

So, the game began. Every couple of miles or so the guy would flip on his high beams, then dim them again. Martha pulled off onto the country road that nobody lived on except her family and the other driver did the same. The Mackenzie girl was becoming frightened. The guy was turning on his lights more often now.

She pulled up to her house and jumped out. The police were already there. 'Help! Help me! That man has been following me since the dance.' The officer approached her slowly.

'Miss, step away from the car.' The man that had been following her got out and started toward her. Martha ran to the police and her parents and Jack," O'Neill smiled.

"And Jack, the driver that followed her. As the police pulled a man out of her car, Jack spoke to her. 'I'm sorry I scarred you, but that man that they pulled out of your car got in there at the dance. I saw him and called the police, but before they could get there, you left, so I followed you. Every time he would come up to stab you with his knife, I would put on my high beams. I didn't mean to scare you, but I was worried.' The end."



*******
Daniel's idea, Teal'c participation
*****



Silence was heard as the story sank in. Jack reached to get another log, but noticed there were no more left. "Carter, help me get some more firewood."

She grimaced, but stood up, "Yes sir."

When they got out of earshot, Daniel motion for Teal'c to come over. "Teal'c, did you see the way Sam was starring at Jack when he told his story?" The jaffa nodded. "Did you see the way he starred at her while she was talking?" He nodded again. "Good, because I have a plan to bring those two together. It's been two realities so far and two realities can't be wrong."

The colonel and major came back 15 minutes later with some firewood. "O'Neill?" Teal'c said, "I believe I have a story that would be appropriate for this occasion."

Jack smiled an evil gleam in his eye.

"Good, now the Major has one more reason for nightmares. Go a head Teal'c."

"There is a story told to all Jaffa when they are young. It is more a warning than anything else. Jaffa are told that over 1,000 years ago, the Goa'uld made a deal with Morphus, a being who ate people. He was allowed to take from any of the planets that they possessed, three of four of its inhabitants and dispose of them in any way, as long as he remained an ally that they could call upon from time to time. He did terrible things to those he took. We were warned to watch out because on never knew where or when he would appear. If my memory is correct, this planet was once in the hold of the Goa'uld. Morphus has not contacted them for many moons, so he would not know that this planet or its inhabitants were no longer at his disposal."

Sam Carter swallowed her mouth suddenly very dry.

"Ok, campers! I think its time to hit the sack." Colonel O'Neill called and stood up.

Teal'c and Daniel agreed, but Sam was hesitant to leave the fire.

"Sir, do you think that is a good idea?" Her voice squeaked slightly. "I mean, shouldn't we sit out here for a while longer? You know, to check things out?" She tried not to sound as desperate as she felt.

Jack shook his head. "Nope. It's getting late and we have any early day tomorrow." He walked to his tent, "Sleep well kiddies... if you can!" He laughed evilly and stepped inside.



*******
The fun begins
******



Teal'c and Daniel went to their tents, waiting for Sam to get in her sleeping bag. They snuck out and Jackson whispered, "Teal'c, we need to shake her tent. I'll make some noise with those logs and rocks over there."

Major Carter was almost asleep when her tent started moving. What is that? A scraping noise started on the left-hand side of her tent and slowly moved closer to the tent flap. It stopped just as quickly as it had started. Must have been my imagination.

When it started again, Sam almost broke her arm trying to get out of her bag. She ran to Daniel's tent first. "Daniel? Are you in there? Please there's a noise outside my tent. Daniel?" She stuck her blond head into the Doctor's tent, but no one was there.

Oh, my god! They've gotten Daniel! Running and tripping over her own two feet, she made her way to Teal'c's tent. "Teal'c, they've gotten Daniel. Morphus has him, I need to come in." No one was there either. She hit her flashlight a couple of times. Of all the places my flashlight picks to quit working, it chooses this planet!

Sam was practically flying when she got to the Colonel's tent. Please be there! Please Jack! "Colonel, are you there?" She stuck her head in through the flap.

"What is it Carter?" He asked grumpily. The major thought she had never heard anything as good as him being upset with her.

"Sir, I can't find Daniel and Teal'c! I think Morphus must have gotten to them. We need to get out of here!"

Jack sat up and grabbed his flashlight. He then grabbed her shoulders.

"Carter, CARTER! Get a hold of yourself! I'll go see what's happening, you stay here and try to get under control, Ok?" Sam nodded and sat down, ready to wait.

Colonel O'Neill walked toward the two tents. "Just when I'm about a sleep, she comes in whining." He muttered to himself and stuck his head cautiously into Dr. Jackson's tent. There lay the archeologist, sound asleep. In Teal'c's tent, he found the same thing.

"Ok, Carter, I went to their tents and found, to my surprise," he added sarcastically. "They were sound asleep. Like I should be! Now, quit letting some scary, childhood stories get the better of you. You're an officer in the United States Airforce for crying out loud!"

Sam kept saying that to herself as she went back to her tent. She laid down in her sleeping bag and settled in. I'm ok, just need to get some sleep. No sooner had she thought that then there was a big clatter and a small banshee scream. That does it! She grabbed her sleeping bag and ran to the Colonel's tent.



*******
One bag, one guy, one girl, you do the math
******



"Sir, I can't be in my tent, it's totally crushed. Please can I stay in here sir? Please?" Jack snorted in disgust. "All right major, if it will let you get some sleep and let me get some sleep, then ok. Come in." He turned on his side with his back to her. Like I'll be able to sleep with her in here.

Getting in her bag, she sighed and snuggled in deeper. Finally, I get to sleep. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. It smells like Jack in here. I like that, a lot.

The major was just dozing off when she felt drops of water hit her face. "What the he...?" She yelled as a big splash of water hit her side of the tent, soaking her and her bag clear through.

O'Neill sat bolt up right, "NOW what Carter?! I'm trying to get some sleep here for crying out loud!" Sam glared at him in the dark.

"It's not MY fault sir! I just got soaked. My clothes are all wet, my sleeping bag has a huge puddle of water in it, but other than that, I'm fine thanks!" She could feel herself getting pretty close to actually crying.

Daniel and Teal'c stood outside Jack's tent. Jackson was trying not to laugh. I knew finding that stream was good luck! Now we'll just let nature take its course. Teal'c say Daniel Jackson give the sing to go back to the tents, when they got far enough away, Jackson spoke. "Ok Teal'c, I think we did enough, the rest is up to them. Goodnight and remember not a word to anyone about this."

The Jaffa nodded, "Of course Daniel Jackson. I will never tell." They headed off to sleep each hoping that Sam and Jack would realize that they loved each other before morning.

Back at Jack's tent he got an extra shirt out, handing it to Sam. "I always keep an extra one with me, use it while your clothes are drying. I'll step outside for a while, call when you're done."

The colonel was trying to think about what he was going to do. I can't sleep in the same bag with Sam; but then again, I can't let one of my team members get pneumonia from a wet bag and chilly night air. When Carter called, he made up his mind, stepping inside; he got into his sleeping bag and held it open.

"Major, I'm not trying to get fresh with you or anything like that. All I'm doing is offering you..." He didn't get half ways finished when her warm body came into contact with his own.

Sam shivered. "Thanks sir, but you can put chivalry aside. I'm cold and I need a dry bag." She couldn't help hugging her front to his back. Carter told herself it was to keep warm, but she found her fingers wouldn't quit tracing his muscles threw the cotton shirt he wore.

If she keeps doing that, chivalry won't even enter into it. Oh god Sam, please behave. He prayed silently. As if it were possible, Sam pushed herself closer to him, her breath was gentle and warm on his ear. "Thank you sir, this means a lot to me."

He tried to stifle the groan that rose in his throat, but with all his military training, it still came out. "Sam," was all he could say Jack rolled over and stroked her face with suddenly trembling fingers.

Carter was shocked; he was actually touching her like this? Calm, cool colonel Jack O'Neill was trembling because of her? She turned her mouth up to his. The kiss that Sam received wiped out any thoughts other than she thought he tasted like heaven.



*******
Hard work gets satisfaction
*******



The next morning Teal'c and Daniel opened Jack's tent to see O'Neill and Carter laying together in the sleeping bag. Jack was on his back with Sam lying half way on top of him, her head resting on his chest and their fingers intertwined in one hand.

They put the flap back up and smiled at each other. Daniel put his hand down, palm up waiting, when Teal'c didn't do anything, Jackson picked up his hand and showed him how to give a 'high-five.'



*******
Taking the heat, but there's no fire in the kitchen
******



SG-1 showed up on time at Stargate Command. Jack told General Hammond all about the trip and only the PG rated versions of what went on between Sam and himself. When he was done, O'Neill said that he would take full responsibility.

"That won't be necessary Colonel. I've been waiting for you to tell me this since we found the other gate, or I should say since you first saw her. I just knew for certain in Antarctica. I'll ask the President, but as long as it doesn't interfere with missions, I don't foresee a problem." Jack smiled at him, gave a salute, and started to leave.

"Oh, and Colonel?" Jack tuned around at the door. "For what they did to Major Carter a yourself, I think pay back is in order."

O'Neill grinned, "Yes Sir."



*******
Pay back's a bitch
********



Four months later, SG-1 found themselves on a planet similar to the one they had been on the night before Sam and Jack's engagement. This was after the 'Blair Witch Project' had come out and they had all decided to see it together.

That night, Daniel woke up to the sound of rocks being banged together like in the movie. At first he thought it was nothing, but as it got closer, he started to wonder. He got up and made his way to Sam and Jack's tent only to trip over two piles of rocks.

"Oh, my god! What's happened?" The doctor yelled and ran to Teal'c's tent. "Teal'c? Teal'c, let me in!" The Jaafa opened the flap and was practically run over by his friend.

"What is the matter Daniel Jackson?"

Daniel tried talking, but had to wait until he caught his breath. "I heard a noise, so I went over to Sam and Jack's tent to see if they had heard it too, but they weren't there. Instead, I tripped over two piles of rocks and some of their stuff was covered in that blue slime like in the movie!"

A yell was heard that sounded like Jack asking for help. "See? The 'Blair Witch' got them!" Some rustling was at the outside of the tent flap. Doctor Jackson grabbed a hold of Teal'c and held on for all he was worth.

Jack and Sam got a picture of that and a recording of Daniel screaming like a girl.

Back at the base, the recording was played over the loud speaker and the pictures of Daniel and Teal'c was pinned all over the walls in the hallways. Just a simple phrase was written on the bottom of them:

'Pay backs a bitch, but thanks.'



*******



End Notes: Positive comments welcomed at tracys4@olynet.com