samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-mail: cptcastor@aol.com

Life's Little Curve: Part One: Diagnosis
Life's Little Curve: Part Two: Night Before
Life's Little Curve: Part Three: The Call
Life's Little Curve: Part Four: The Love
Life's Little Curve: Part Five: All Day
Life's Little Curve: Part Six: Aftermath of Surgery
Life's Little Curve: Part Seven: Changing Tunes
Life's Little Curve: Part Eight: Back to Work
Life's Little Curve: Part Nine: Race for the Cure
Life's Little Curve: Part Ten: The Need for SG1
Life's Little Curve: Part Eleven: Mixed Feelings
Life's Little Curve: Part Twelve: Trials and Tribulations
Life's Little Curve: Part Thirteen: The unexpected occurs
Life's Little Curve: Part Fourteen: Living again

Spoilers: None

Archive: SJ yes. Heliopolis yes, others just let me know.

Author's Notes: This is the final part to the Life's Little Curves Series. I know that it has taken a long time for me to get it out, but I hope you enjoyed it.

I am very interested as to what you have to say about this series, so please send me feedback.


(3rd person POV)

Sam awoke early in Jack's arms knowing that something was wrong. She shifted to see his face pale in the moonlight. Placing a hand on his forehead, she noticed he was burning up.

Sam carefully shifted out of bed. Glancing at the clock, she saw it was 0400.Knowing that this was the end of her sleep, she slipped on a pair of shorts with her nightshirt and headed into the kitchen.

After putting on a pot of coffee, Sam took the ear thermometer and Tylenol out of the cabinet, and then she headed back into the bedroom. Before doing anything else, she armed herself with a damp washcloth. Taking the thermometer, Sam carefully checked Jack's temperature without disturbing his slumber. Using the ambient lighting filtering in from the hallway, she bit her lower lip when she saw the 101.1 temp.

"Jack, Jack Love, wake up." Sam Gently said while she tenderly jostled his shoulder.

"Sam, hmmm, what's wrong?" Jack asked in his sleep.

"How do you feel?" Sam asked thought she knew the answer to the question.

"I feel lousy. What's wrong?" Jack was more concerned for her.

"You have a 101 temperature. I need you to take this." Sam handed him the Tylenol. "Then you can go back to sleep." Jack complied and snuggled back into the pillows. Sam then took the damp cloth and wiped his forehead.

"I love you." Jack said then he was asleep.

"I love you too." Sam replied to the sleeping form. She kisses his forehead and headed into the kitchen. Getting what was to be the first of several cups of coffee, she sat at her laptop and finished the last of her paperwork that she was lacking. For the first hour, she would check on Jack every 15 minutes.

At 0530, Jack was still running a fever. Sam managed to wake Jack up long enough to have him tell her that she was not going anywhere. Sam then left Jack to sleep and called into base.

"Hammond." General Hammond answered.

"General?" Sam asked a bit curious as to what he was doing answering the phone.

"Yes, something wrong, Major?" Hammond asked. "Actually, Sir, Colonel O'Neill is ill. He is running a 101 temp." Sam reported.

"Well, then, SG-1 is on downtime until he recovers. If his fever does not break by 1600, then call. I will send Dr. Fraiser out." Hammond said.

"Yes, Sir." Sam replied then hung up the phone.

Sam set her laptop up on the couch. She just let Jack sleep and made mental noted on when to check on him. By mid-morning, Jack got out of bed and stumbles into the living room.

"Hi." Jack said as he staggered to the couch. Sam jumped up and helped him.

"Hey, Love, how are you doing?" Sam asked as she felt his forehead. He was still hot but not as hot.

"Oh just dandy." Jack the looked at Sam, "I am sorry, I am a bit hungry."

Sam kissed jack on the top of his head then went into the kitchen. Jack pulled Sam's laptop and looked at what she was working on. He read intently. "Sam?"

"What?" Sam asked as she put the soup in the microwave.

"Is this something you want to do?" Jack asked.

"Is what something I want to do?" Sam questioned back.

"Breast reconstruction."

"Oh. I never thought about it. I was looking for something else and I saw it. I have been reading about it, but no. I am not going to do it." Sam returned into the room with some chicken noodle soup.

"You know according to this, you are a prime candidate." Jack himself started reading.

"I know. I just don't think it is for me. One it is surgery. I am kind of sick of IVs and such. Two it is surgery. I will be out of commission. Three it is elective surgery. Right now, insurance does not cover it, so we would have to pay for it. I know my salary won't cover it…" Sam was then interrupted.

"If you want to do it then we can get the money." Jack said.

"Jack, I just don't thing it is for me." Sam said.

"Ok." Jack said and then Jack ate his soup. "Thanks, Love."

Jack's fever broke soon after and the two were ready to work.

SG1 gathered in the briefing room as normal for the mission briefing.

"P8X-212 has a subtropical climate. Actually the gate itself is not a part of any stone altar. It is nestled amongst the trees." Sam started describing.

"Sweet, more trees."

"Sir, the UAV has picked up a huge concentration of naquada about a mile from the gate, and there is also no indications of intelligent life. Sir, this could be a perfect place for a naquada source that we have been looking for." Sam made her case.

"Correct me if I am wrong, O'Neill," Jack said with a small smile on his face. He gets a kick out of calling Sam O'Neill now as opposed to Carter, "but in the past, has there not been some sort of Evil person waiting to take us out because we wanted Naquada?"

"Actually, Sir, I still think it is worth a look." Sam said.

"I agree, SG-1, you ship out at 1630." Hammond said. "Dismissed." Sam and Jack stood as Hammond got up and exited the room.

"Alright campers, Let's get things cleaned up and ready to go." Jack said and each member when on their own way.

At 1630 the group assembled in the gate room fully geared up. After the 7th Chevron engaged and the event horizon was fully established, SG-1 stepped up the ramp and through the gate.

"Alright, let's set up camp, then we will check out the Naquada." Then jack turned his head, "O'Neill," Jack called out smiling again, "Take your local samples." Sam headed a few feet away but was still able to see camp.

Back at camp, Daniel decided to have a little chat with Jack, "You just amaze me, Jack."

"Really," Jack replied.

"Every time you ask Sam to do something, or tell her something, or reprimand her…" Daniel seemed to babble.

"Spit it out, Space Monkey." Jack only wanted to hear babble from one person.

"Every time you say Sam's name for any reason, there is a twinkle in your eyes." Daniel pointed out.

"It's called 'LOVE' Daniel. And I have every right to 'twinkle.'" Jack said then turned to watch Sam again.

When Sam was finished with her soil sample collection, she returned to camp. The three men were sitting by the fire. "Take a load off, Sam." Daniel suggested.

"Thanks, I think I will." Sam smiled then sat on Jack's lap.

"And the old man gets the load." Jack commented. "Gees, Sam, what have you been eating?" Jack jokingly commented. He was happy to know that she got her weight back.

"I have this old man at home that keeps me well fed." Sam said then kissed Jack. She moved so that she was sitting next to Jack. The group decided that it got dark rather quickly so they were going to go after the Naquada in the morning.

It was rather an uneventful evening. When morning came, the band headed to the Naquada source. Sam stopped dead in her tracks when she saw what it was. "Sam, correct me if I am wrong here. You know me, I am not scientist, but don't you think there had to be an intelligent life for to create that." Jack whispered into Sam's ear.

The group was standing in front of a 6-foot pentagonal pyramid made of Naquada. The ore had been refined and shiny. Sam moved closer to the object while Daniel took video.

Taking her hand, Sam touched to object to feel the smoothness of the surface. All of a sudden, an electrical charge coursed through her body and she fell limp to the ground. Jack rushed to her side and checked for a pulse. Relieved that he found one, "Sam, come on, Love, wake up." Sam's eyes opened. "You scared me, Love." Jack said.

"Sorry, Help me up please." Sam asked. Jack did. Suddenly Sam doubled over in pain. "Oh god." Sam panicked.

Jack picked Sam up and yelled over at Daniel. "Daniel, run to the gate, go through and get Doc Fraiser. Tell her what has happened." Daniel took off. Jack and Teal's followed but at a slower rate while they carried Sam.

By the time they reached the SCG, Janet was there with a gurney and supplies to stabilize Sam before they headed to the infirmary.

Hours went by. Jack again found himself pacing. He stopped when Janet came out. "Sam is going to be fine. She is stable and we managed to save the baby."

"Can we…" Jack started then thought for a second. "Baby?"

"Sam is pregnant. By the looks of things I would say she was about 12 weeks along." Janet had to hold back the laughter that she had just by looking at Jacks face. The expression is timeless. "The electrical charge that went through her body triggered the start of a miscarriage. Seeing that we caught it early, we were able to stabilize the baby. You can go see her, but she is asleep and will be for some time. I gave her some sedatives. She does not know she is pregnant yet." Jack nodded, then turned to the rest of the group.

Jack could not help himself, He was smiling ear to ear. "I am going to be a father again." And then once again, Jack started thinking. "I thought because of the Chemo, Sam could not get pregnant."

"Actually, her chances are less than one in a million that she could get pregnant. Apparently one if her eggs survived. I am putting her on full bed rest for the next month to make sure any complications are behind us." Janet said. "Go see your wife."

**28 weeks later**

"He is gorgeous." Sam said sitting on the couch looking at her son.

"What do you expect. Remember who is Dad is." Jack, who was sitting next to her, kissed Sam.

"I never expected this. I never thought that we would have something as beautiful as this. He is you and he is me." Sam started crying.

"Hey, now, you know, He, our little Matthew here, needs his sleep." Jack got up and out Matt in his bassinet. Then he went back to the couch. "And you need your rest as well. Sam you are wonderful and beautiful and you have given me more then I ever imagined I would have."

"We gave to each other." Sam said.

"I love you, Sam. I love you so much I got this for you." Jack handed Sam a small velvet box.

Opening the box, Sam was shocked to see a golden heart, one side that represents a mother and the other that represents a baby. Inside the hear was a cluster of diamonds that surrounded Matt's birthstone. "Jack…"

Jack silenced her by putting a finger to her mouth. "Thank-you for being the mother to our son. Thank-you for giving me another chance to be a father. Most of all, Thank-you for not giving up on your fight to live."