samandjack.net

Story Notes: E-Mail: jo17_52_35@yahoo.com

Archive: SJA, Helliopolis yes (if they actually want it)

Spoilers: D&C, In The Line Of Duty, Chain Reaction, Forever in a Day

Season: Season four I guess.

Feedback: Don’t make me send the biker priest for it.

Authors Notes: I found the beginning of this story in one of my spirals today. I figured I would finish it and send it on over to the list. Let me know what you think.

Dedication: To a great man who is an inspiration to many. May he one day know the impact he has had on so many lives. (This will mean nothing to 99% of this list, but it is something that I feel very deeply.)


As I’m about to slip into the unconsciousness of sleep I think about how I got to be here tonight. If it wasn’t that damn Alternate Universe. Well we did learn one thing: Not all quantum mirrors look alike.

*************************************

“Who are all these people?” I ask...well I guess myself after looking at the photo.

“I’m surprised you don’t recognize the members of your own family.” He answers me.

“None of these people are in my family.” I tell him.

“Look closer. The people in this photo are You, Sam, Charlie, Sara, Space Monkey, General Hammond, Teal’c, Janet, Kawalsky, Dad, Cassie, Sha’re, Skarra, and of course the children.” He responds.

Now that I look closer I can see what he’s saying. These are all the people I’ve loved in my life. They’re all a little older, but it’s them. Then what he said hits me. “I’m still married to Sara? And who do those children belong to?”

No you’re not still married to Sara, and those children belong to one of four couples. Those were dumb questions.”

“Why? And who are the four couples?” I ask.

“Because Sam and I fell in love despite military regulations, moral values, and our own wishes. Sara was the first to realize it and she stepped aside. She realized Sam and I were both to honorable to do anything about it while she and I were still married. She loved me enough to let me go so that I could be happy even though it caused her pain. The four couples are Sam and I, Janet and Kawalsky, Danny and Sha’re and Skarra and Cassie. Why would you even ask such stupid questions?” He asks me.

“Because in my reality Charlie killed himself with my gun and that’s why Sara and I got divorced. Kawalsky died early on in our fight with the go'a'uld. Sha’re was taken over by Apophis’ queen Ammounet, and was shot by Teal’c with a staff weapon while she was using a hand-device on Daniel. Oh and of course we can forget the fact that since not a one of the four couples are together in my reality none of those children were ever born. I do have a question though. How are you and Sam together if Sam is still military? The regulations forbid it.”

“On the contrary my dear double. General Hammond had the regulations bent for us long before we ever admitted to ourselves let alone an entire room full of people how we felt. When he said that HE owes YOU a favor he lied. He had to pull a lot of strings to get it done, but he knew that in the long run it would be worth it. You asked me a question so I want to ask you one. How do you live in your reality? I’d never be able to do it. I can’t imagine any of those people not being in my life, even Sara. For crying out loud, she’s become one of my best friends, and a sister to Sam. I think she’s even starting to fall in love with Marty.”

I start to choke and sputter when he says that. “Martouf? I thought you hate him, and didn’t he become a zat’a’rac anyway?”

“No on both counts. I didn’t like him at first because I thought he was trying to take Sam away from me. Once I learned that he wasn’t I actually started to like the guy. The only reason he’s not in that picture is because roller coasters and his stomach don’t agree.”

“Huh?” I say.

“We all went to Six Flags the day before, and we went on all of the roller coasters ten or eleven times. About the seventh time on Raging Bull he started to throw up. He was sick for a week. Boy did that put me in the doghouse. Like it was my fault or something. How was I supposed to know he’d get sick?” For some reason I think he did know. Even though he says that he and Marty are friends, I think he would be just as happy if they weren’t. I know him...hell I AM him. I can see it in his eyes. He’s afraid that Martouf will win Sam’s heart and she’ll leave him one day.

“She loves you Jack.” I say. “Trust me on this, he can’t take her from you.”

“Deep down I know that. I’m just to scared to let myself believe that. Once you let yourself get to cocky you lose everything.” He says.

“I know, trust me. I’ve learned that the hard way.”

“Colonel, they found the quantum mirror that we came through. We can go home now.” Sam...my Sam...says as she enters my counterparts office.

“Thanks Carter, I’ll be there in a minute.” I tell her as she leaves the room. “Hey can I have that picture, you know to remind me of what could’ve been? A better life. One that’s filled with love. A life that is lead by a luckier me.”

“Yeah sure, why not. I can always have another copy made for myself.” He tells me as he takes the photo out of the frame. “But you have to tell her how you feel. Neither of you will be happy with someone else. Remember that. Don’t wait to long either. If you do you just might lose her. Then you’ll both be unhappy.”

“I will. I can’t lose her, she’s all I have left.” I say before joining the rest of my team in the gate room.

************************

So I did. I figured if you can’t take advice from yourself, who can you take it from? He was right...everything worked out for the best. As Sam snuggles closer to me in her sleep I realize that he may be a luckier me, but I know that no one can take Sam away from me. I won’t let them.

THE END