samandjack.net

Story Notes: Feedback: Praise will light my life, constructive criticism will light the dark, and flames will light my best friends’ squares.

Authors Notes: This just sort of popped into my head the other day, and I had to write it. I realize that I’m supposed to be working on the four other stories I’m writing (only two of which are currently being posted as WIP, thank God) And I know that I have to get parts of stories out soon, but I’ve been extremely busy lately.

Dedication: To Jo, she’s been extremely quiet lately, and I can only hope that she is following through with her dream. Either way may God bless her in all that she does.

Now on to the story.


“Let me ask you something: What does your dearly beloved Ambassador say about all this?” Jack said.

“I haven't had a chance to tell him.” Sam replied.

“Maybe he can help you.”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean Jack?”

“Well you didn’t seem to have any problem going to him instead of me eight years ago, so I figured you wouldn’t have a problem doing it now.”

“Why are you so bitter about my marriage to Joe?”

“Sam you know why. Please don’t make me say it.” His eyes actually looked troubled now, but she didn’t care anymore.

“Why don’t you refresh my memory Jack, I think I have forgotten.”

Jack sighed, knowing he would have to answer her. “Because Sam, I always thought we were meant to be. We weren’t supposed to be apart, there was always something telling me that. Even now I have something deep inside telling me that we should be together...” Jack’s voice trailed off, and the pain he felt was like a living thing between the two of them. Sam almost felt sorry for him...Almost.

“Yeah Jack, something was always telling you that, as long as there was no one else for you. If someone else wanted you, you would forget all about me. When someone else was around I went back to just being Sam, just your best friend. I ALWAYS knew that we were perfect for each other, or as Daniel would say: “soul mates.” It never mattered whether or not someone else wanted me. Even with Joe I knew. I never loved Joe as much as I had loved you, but I decided that it was time to start waiting for you. I would have waited for you forever Jack, but the pain was becoming too great, and it looked like you were never going to see what was right in front of you all along. I said we made mistakes Jack, well we all did, but we can fix them. None of this has to have happened. Who knows maybe this time around we can all end up happy. Even if there is only a remote chance that we can change any of this isn’t it worth it?” Sam’s voice had taken on the same pleading tone Jack’s had taken while begging her not to make him declare the reason for his bitterness.

Jack was angry now. “Well Sam, like I said, you may have a problem with the choices you made, but I’m happy with my life. I did my part, but if you be so kind could you please inform me of how it all works out.” With that remark Sam turned around and walked out of Jack’s life...again. Not for good though, he’d make sure of it. Despite what he’d said he wasn’t happy about the choices he had made. He had to make sure that this didn’t happen again. Sam had been right about one thing: Even if it was the most remote possibility that they could fix this, it would be worth it to try. However, she was wrong about everything else. He always knew that they should be together as well, he just didn’t think she would want such an old and battered Colonel that could screw up her career. The only reason he had been with those other women was to ease the pain he felt. Jack knew that there was only one thing he could do. He walked into his kitchen to make his final lunch in his beloved cabin before making sure he didn’t he didn’t lose Sam again. He was not going to lose her a second time around, no matter what he had to do. He knew this because there was just something telling him that it was so.

THE END



End Notes: Feedback craved.....feedback needed.....it's like a drug, once you have it once you need it over and over again...it's a sickness really.