samandjack.net

Story Notes: Title: The Vacation

Author: Karen

Email: kcafaro1@intrstar.net

Spoilers: All of Season 3, especially 100 Days, Crystal Skull, Nemesis, and the season 4 opener.

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Sam and Jack go on vacation together.

Archive: Sam and Jack, yes; Heliopolis, yes; anyone else, please ask. Disclaimer: Stargate SG-1 is owned by Showtime Networks, MGM/UA, Double Secret, Gekko, et.al.

Author Notes: This is a "what if" story: what if Sam and Jack went on that vacation together. I have set it after the events of Nemesis and the season 4 opener (which no one has seen yet) It is pure speculation.


**************************************************************************



Well, they had done it again. SG-1 had saved the world one more time. The alien techno-bugs, or replicators as the Asgard had called them, had been prevented from taking over earth.

Teal'c, Major Samantha Carter, and Colonel Jack O'Neill wearily left the briefing room after giving their account of the confrontation, and after explaining their commandeering of the Stargate. Teal'c was heading back to the embarkation room, planning to return to the planet where his son and wife had taken refuge in order to continue his visit with them. Daniel Jackson had long since retired back to his bed in the infirmary. That left only Major Carter and Colonel O'Neill standing in the corridor.

"Well," said O'Neill, "I've still got a lake in Minnesota waiting for me." He looked at Carter expectantly. "Perfect spot for getting away from it all."

She smiled at him and looked around the corridor to see if they were alone. "Sir, if that invitation's still open, I'd like to take you up on it."

O'Neill's face broke into a big smile. "Yes, it is, Carter." He turned and started walking down the corridor, his arm around her shoulder. "You are gonna love it. Fresh air, blue sky, blue water, yep, paradise."



********************



Northern Minnesota was beautiful in early June. The sky was blue, the sun was bright, and the air was clean and quiet. As Jack drove down the road which wound through the woods, he kept taking glances at the woman sitting beside him. She was looking out the window, watching the scenery go by. A smile curved his lips. She really needed this, and he was glad he'd asked her to come with him. Especially, now, after all they'd gone through to prevent those nasty replicator things from destroying the earth. If she hadn't disobeyed his order and come aboard the Asgard ship with Teal'c, he knew that they wouldn't be on their way to this peaceful, secluded spot. SG-1 may have gotten the credit, but without Sam Carter, the mission would never have been accomplished. She was the one who thought of blowing up the reentry engines and commandeering the Stargate as a means of escape. She had saved their asses once again. Sam Carter was one remarkable woman.

"Are we almost there?" she asked yet again. Jack hid his smile. She was just like a kid.

"Yes, Carter, we're almost there, just a couple more miles." He slowed and turned down a dirt road. "If you keep your eyes peeled, you'll see the lake in a couple of minutes."

As she watched, the lake gradually came into view. It was a beautiful sight, so calm and serene and blue. Though she had had her doubts about coming on vacation with Colonel O'Neill, the peacefulness of the surrounding countryside was just what she needed. Glancing over at him, she saw he had a slight smile on his lips. When he had first asked her to come with him, she'd been so surprised and flustered, she hadn't known what to say. So, she had said no. After he'd left, having told her to "have fun" with her reactor, something inside her had told her to go after him. If there hadn't been an airman standing in the hall behind him, she would have told him that she would go with him. Then, Thor had snatched him out of the base and their adventure with the replicators had begun.

And now, here she was, going on vacation with her CO.

Just up ahead a beautifully rustic cabin came into view. It was gorgeous. The cabin was nestled in the trees, about one hundred yards from the lake. There was a pier jutting out into the lake, and a boat was tied up to it. It was a completely idyllic spot. Maybe even romantic? She quickly squelched that thought. We're just two friends on vacation, that's all, she told her self firmly.

The Colonel pulled his four wheel drive truck up in front of the cabin. "Well, here it is. Now, Carter, aren't you glad you came?" He flashed her a grin.

"Yes, sir, I am," she answered, smiling back at him. Seven days, she thought. We're going to be alone here together for seven days! "It looks so rustic. Will we be 'roughing it'?"

"Not really." He looked a little sheepish. "I had it completely updated. It has all the comforts of home. I even put in a satellite dish. It's in the back." At her look of surprise, he said defensively, "I have to be able to see the hockey playoffs."

Sam started laughing. The man was a character, she had to give him that. Maybe that was why she lov-liked him so much.

Getting out of the truck, she and the Colonel grabbed their bags and carried them inside. He was right, the place did have all the comforts of home, but he had managed to keep the rustic flavor of the cabin intact. It was beautiful, with log walls, wooden floors scattered with handwoven rugs, and a huge fireplace. There was comfortable overstuffed furniture around the fireplace and a beautiful hearth rug in front of it.

"Oh, this is wonderful," she said.

"Thanks." He indicated the hallway. "Your room is this way." He led her to the second door on the right. Swinging it open, he preceded her into the bedroom. It was beautiful too. There was a huge four poster bed covered with an antique quilt. There was another hand woven rug on the floor and floor length white curtains at the windows. "I hope you'll be comfortable here."

"Oh, I will, it's just beautiful." Sam put her bag down on the floor and walked around the room. She touched one of the posts on the bed. "This is an antique."

"Yeah, it belonged to my grandparents." He gestured back out the door. "I'm afraid we're gonna havta share the bathroom, I haven't gotten around to adding another one yet." She followed him back into the hall. He walked to another door and opened it, revealing a fully equipped bathroom.

"That's fine." She watched as he walked across the hall from her room and opened another door. It was another bedroom with another antique four poster bed. He carried his own bag inside and dropped it on the floor.

"So, feel like a little lunch?" He led the way to the kitchen. It was fully equipped, even down to a microwave oven and a huge refrigerator. There was an old fashioned pine table surrounded by four ladder backed chairs sitting in the middle of the floor. He walked over to the refrigerator and opened it. It was full of food.

"How did you do that?" she asked curiously.

"Oh, I have a caretaker who comes by to check on things. I called and told him that I was coming and told him to stock up for me." He reached in and took out two sodas. Tossing her one, he said, "We'll grab a couple of sandwiches and then go down to the dock. I need to check out the boat, make sure it's still sound."

They made sandwiches and sat at the table, eating and talking. Sam was amazed that she felt so totally comfortable here alone with him. She had been afraid that she would be nervous, but she wasn't. He was so sweet and charming, trying hard to make her feel comfortable. I could really get used to this, she thought.

After lunch, they walked down to the pier. Jack looked at the boat, making sure that it safe to use. He was planning to take Sam out on the lake in the morning for some fishing. After confirming that the boat was seaworthy, they took a walk along the edge of the lake. Jack pointed out some places of interest to Sam, including his old tree house.

"Where was it?" she asked. He walked behind her and putting his hand on her shoulder, pointed toward the area so that she could follow the line of his arm. His proximity behind her caused her to smell his after shave. It was a spicy, clean scent that started her heart racing. The warmth of his hand seeped through her shirt, warming the skin of her shoulder. For a few seconds there, she could barely breathe, then he removed his hand and stepped back. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea, she thought, he just stood near me and touched my shoulder and I reacted to it. Drawing a deep breath, Sam turned to him.

"Has this place been in your family for a long time?" She asked, mainly for conversation.

"Yeah, it first belonged to my great-grandparents, and they've passed it along through the family. It's mine now," he answered. Taking her elbow, he guided her back toward the cabin. When they reached the pier he paused. "Wait here for a minute." He jogged around to the back of the cabin. He came back a few minutes later carrying two folding lawn chairs. Gesturing for her to follow him, he took them to the end of the pier and unfolded the chairs for them to sit in. They spent the rest of the afternoon there in the warm June sunshine, talking.

After watching a spectacular sunset over the lake, they went inside where Jack lit a fire in the fireplace to ward off the chill of the evening. Together, Jack and Sam prepared a light dinner, and afterward they sat on the floor in front of the fireplace, learning back against the sofa, drinking wine and talking. At bedtime, Jack walked Sam to her bedroom door and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Don't forget, set your alarm. We're getting up early to go fishing." He reminded her.

"I won't forget," she smiled, then she went inside and to bed.

Jack locked up and banked the fire, then took their wine glasses to the kitchen and rinsed them out before putting them into the sink. He noticed a slight lipstick mark on Sam's glass. Stroking his thumb across the mark to remove it, he smiled. Today had been a nice day. Sam was easy company, easy to talk to, easy to be with, and definitely easy on the eyes. He was glad that she'd changed her mind and decided to come with him. She'd been working way too hard, and with everything that had happened with the Asgard and those replicator thingys, she needed to get away from the SGC. He had a selfish reason for wanting her with him, too. He wanted to spend time with her. His feelings for Sam had been evolving for a while now. Before his enforced stay on Edora, he had begun to view her in a different light entirely. After his return, their relationship had changed, and not for the better. She was quiet around him, even a little stand-offish.

Gradually that had changed, and their relationship had started moving back in its former direction, especially when they had thought Daniel was lost after finding that crystal skull. When they had both been made sick by the muon radiation, it had taken her longer to recover than it had him, probably due to the differences in their sizes. It had made him realize that they were both vulnerable, and anything could happen to cause him to lose her. Hence, the invitation to come with him on vacation. He just wanted to spend time with her.

Turning off the lights, he headed toward his own room. Passing by her door, he paused and put his hand on the door.

"Good night, Sam," he whispered. "Sweet dreams." Then he entered his own room and went to bed.



*******************



Sam was up and ready to go fishing before her alarm went off at 5:00 the next morning. In fact she was in the kitchen making breakfast when Jack got up.

"Good morning, Colonel," she greeted.

"Good morning, Sam." He walked over and looked over her shoulder where she was scrambling eggs. He noticed the pile of crispy bacon, too. "Been busy this morning, I see."

"Well, sir, I was up, so I decided I'd cook breakfast this morning. You can do the honors tomorrow morning." She smiled at him. Dishing up the eggs, she put both plates on the table, on which she had put a plate of toast, butter, jelly, juice, and milk. A pot of coffee was on the stove.

They both sat down and tucked into their breakfast. Jack ate all of his and half of hers.

"Sam, if I'd known you were such a good cook, I'd have been letting you do all the cooking on missions." Jack grinned and winked.

"I don't mind taking my turn, but I really don't think I want to do ALL the cooking," she said, smiling back.

They finished their breakfast, and Jack got their fishing tackle. The two of them carried it down to the pier and put it in the boat.

"Where's your hat?" he asked.

"I didn't think to bring one," she answered.

"That's okay, I've got one you can use. Be right back." Jack ran back into the house. He came back out carrying a hat. "Here, you can use my lucky hat." He put the hat on her head.

She pointed to the hat on his head. "I thought that was your lucky hat."

"Well, I have more than one lucky hat," he informed her. She stifled a laugh. "Hey, I saw that." He reached out and pinched her chin. "C'mon, Sam, let's go." He climbed into the boat, and helped her in. She sat down on the opposite end from him. He pulled out the oars, and they set off.

He rowed them out into the middle of lake. He handed Sam her rod, and she looked at it.

Jack attached the lure to his line and cast his hook. Sam still sat there holding the lure in one hand and the rod in the other. "Uh, sir," she said.

"Jack, Sam, call me Jack. What is it?" he asked.

"How do I get this on?" He looked over at her and she smiled at him and held up the lure. She looked so cute sitting there wearing his old hat, holding the lure in one hand and the fishing rod in the other.

"Give it here." He took the rod and lure from her and attached it. He handed it back to her. She took it from him. Holding it in an approximation of the way he had held it, she attempted to cast the line, without success. Taking pity on her, he decided he'd show her how to cast the line correctly. "Come here, Sam." Carefully she shifted to the middle of the boat, meeting him there. Turning her back to him, her body between his legs, he put his arms around her, placing his hands over hers on the rod. "See, place your hands like this." He put her hands where they needed to be. His face was next to her hair, and he could smell her fresh clean scent. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath, then opened his eyes. "Press here," he demonstrated it, "then pull it back" he pulled back the rod for her, causing her to lean back against him, "then flick it forward." She did as he instructed and the hook and lure flew overhead and into the water. She turned to him.

"I did it!" she exclaimed. Their faces were very close.

"Yes, you did," he agreed. They stared into each other's eyes, and their faces began to draw closer, when there was a tug on Sam's fishing rod. Startled, she turned away toward the direction of the tug.

"I think I've got something," she said.

"Reel it in," Jack told her. Sam reeled in her catch which turned out to be a very large bass, fifteen inches long. "Wow, he's a monster! Nice catch!"

"For a beginner," she amended his statement.

"No, for anyone," he insisted. He took the fish off the line and put it in the creel.

They went back to their original seats and Sam recast her line. It wasn't long before she had caught another bass, this one bigger than the last one. By lunch time, she had caught four bass, their limit for the day. They decided to call it quits, and Jack rowed the boat back to shore and tied it up to the pier. He helped a very excited Sam out of the boat.

"I can't believe I caught four fish," she said. "Can we have them for dinner?"

"Do you know how to clean fish?" Jack asked.

"No, I don't." Sam's face fell. "I've never caught fish before."

"C'mon, it's not that hard to do." He took the fish in one hand and Sam's hand in the other, and they went to the back porch. There was a large sink there, specifically for cleaning fish, he told her. His grandmother had insisted on it, she didn't want her kitchen messed up with flying scales and fish guts. Sam giggled all the way through his explanation, and he gave her a mock glare.

"Hey, this is a serious subject." He shook his finger at her. "Fish cleaning 101. First, cut off the head," and he explained and demonstrated the proper way to clean fish for cooking. Sam studied what he was doing very carefully, and after he cleaned the first one, she did the rest with surgical precision. When she had laid the last fillet on the plate, she looked at it with pride in her accomplishment.

"Very nice, you're a quick study." He indicated her now fishy clothes. "Why don't you go clean up, then we'll have some lunch. I'll take care of this mess."

"Thanks, si-Jack," she said smiling. "I'll just be a few minutes."

"Take your time, Sam." He turned to the task of cleaning up the mess from cleaning the fish. Sam took the plate of now cleaned fish to the kitchen. Finding some plastic wrap, she wrapped the plate, then put it in the refrigerator. She headed for the bathroom, where she removed her now fishy smelling clothes. She showered quickly, then, stepping out of the tub, she wrapped herself in a towel. Checking to see that Jack was nowhere in sight, she hustled to her room. Opening the closet door she contemplated her choic es. She had jeans, shorts, tee shirts, and two sundresses. Since it was such a warm afternoon, Sam decided to wear shorts and a tee shirt. She had considered wearing one of her sundresses, but she decided that she was too shy to expose that much skin. Dressing quickly, she ran a brush through her damp hair and applied a light touch of make up. There, done. She looked nice, but not too nice. Slipping her feet into her sandals, she returned to the back porch where Jack had just finished cleaning up.

"That was quick," he said in surprise. "Most women take an eternity."

"I'm not most women," she said with a smile. "I wasn't sure what to do with my other clothes, so I just left them in the bathroom."

"That's fine, I'll get them when I take care of mine." He washed the last of the fish off his hands. "I'll just go clean up too. I'll be back in a few minutes."

"Okay," she said. When he had gone, she looked in the refrigerator for something to prepare for their lunch. Finding some cold chicken, she got that out along with the makings for a salad. She tore the lettuce and chopped the vegetables, tossing it all together. Pleased with the results, she set the table and had just placed the food on it when Jack came back carrying their dirty clothes.

"Wow, you've been busy," he said. "Lunch looks great. I'll just take these to the utility room." He did so, then came back and sat down at the table. "I'm starving." They helped themselves, polishing off lunch in a short time.

After lunch, they went for a walk in the woods, and Jack showed her some of his favorite childhood haunts. Then they went back to the pier, sitting on the end of it, talking quietly, and watching the play of the sunlight on the water. After a dinner of the fish Sam had caught, they sat in front of the fire again, drinking wine and talking. Later, Jack walked Sam to the bedroom door, gave her a kiss on the cheek and said goodnight.



*******************



That first day set the pattern for the next few days to come. They would rise early, one of them preparing breakfast, then they would set to go out fishing. Near noon they would come back, and prepare the fish, then have lunch. Later, they would take a walk. The evening would end in front of the fire, then Jack would walk Sam to her door and kiss her on the cheek. It was a gentle, peaceful time for both of them, and they got to know each other very well.

The fifth day of their stay, they decided that they would skip fishing. Instead, they dressed in their swimsuits, packed a picnic, and rowed to the other side of the lake. It was a spot that Jack's grandfather would take him to each summer when he would visit.

When they reached the spot that Jack called 'the swimming hole,' they tied up the boat and got out their supplies. Then they decided to take a swim. Jack pulled off his tee shirt, and dove in. The water was cool, but not overly so.

"Come on in, Sam, the water's great," he called. Sam was a little dubious, but she'd said she would swim, and she would. She unbuttoned the shirt she'd worn over her swimsuit top, and then removed her shorts. She wore a very modest two piece swim suit, what the salesperson had call a "tankini". It consisted of a close fitting tank top and a bikini bottom in a sapphire blue color. It was very attractive and suited her tall, slim build.

When Jack saw her, he forgot to tread water and started to sink. Wow, he thought, finally remembering where he was, he had known that Sam had a nice body, but- wow!

Sam entered the water and swam out to where Jack was. He was still a little dazed, though she didn't know it. He had been feeling that pull of attraction between them all week, but he'd deliberately been keeping things between low-key. Now, seeing her dressed in so little brought all that stampeding to the forefront. Literally.

"You're right," she said. "The water is great." She dove down and swam a little further out into the lake. He followed her, not wanting to let her out of his sight.

She turned in the water facing him, watching him swim toward her. When he was about ten feet from her, she flung a spray of water out to hit him in the face. He spluttered water. She struck out for the shore, laughing all the way.

"Sam!" He took off after her. Even though she was a strong swimmer, he was stronger and he caught her before she had gone too far. The fact that she was laughing didn't help either. They were laughing and splashing each other. They had gone far enough toward the shore that Jack could touch bottom, and he used that to his advantage. He grabbed her and held her so that she couldn't get a purchase on the bottom of the lake. She managed to get her arms between them, but she was still laughing so hard that she couldn't manage to get the strength to push away from him. Finally, she gave up and collapsed him against laughing all the while. She leaned her head back and they were face to face.

The laughter died away. Jack's arms tightened around Sam, and her arms slid up over his shoulders and around his neck. In the next instant, their lips met and parted, tongue sweeping against tongue. Jack's right hand slid up and buried itself in her hair, his left sliding under the tank top of her bathing suit. The only thing he could think of was that she tasted so good, and that her skin was so soft.

Sam's hands were making their own discoveries. Her left hand slid into the short hair on the back of his head, her right hand smoothing over his shoulder. His muscles were so hard and defined, and his kiss was more intoxicating than wine. The feel of hands on her body was overpowering. His hands slid down her body, coming to rest on her hips. He pressed her closely to his hardness. A thought came unbidden to her mind, he wants me. He wants me just as much as I want him. Their lips finally parted, and they looked at one another.

Jack touched his forehead to hers and closed his eyes. "I hadn't planned for this to happen, Sam, I swear." His hands were smoothing up and down her back.

"Are you sorry?" she asked.

He looked at her. "No, I'm not. I'm not sorry."

She ran her fingers through his hair. "I'm not sorry, either."

He sought her lips again. When they finally broke apart, both of them were breathing heavily.

"Let's get back to shore," he said. "We need to talk."



******************



They swam back to the shore. Jack took out the blanket they'd brought to have their picnic on and spread it out on the ground. He then took out two towels and wrapped one around Sam. She sank down onto the blanket. He sat down beside her and drew her close, putting his arms around her. Sam leaned against him, putting her head on his shoulder. He pressed his lips to her hair.

"Sam, when I invited you to come with me, I had no intention for anything like this happening, I swear I didn't." Jack wanted her to understand that. "I just wanted you to relax and have a good time, and I wanted to spend some time with you, that's all." He sighed. "I won't deny that I've wanted this for a long time, longer than you might realize." Jack stroked her hair. "You do believe me don't you?"

Sam turned her face into his chest. "I do believe you, Jack." She laughed. "It's funny, I've wanted this for a long time, too." Her voice caught. "I thought, when you came back from Edora- well, I thought there was no chance. When you asked me to come here with you, I wanted to say yes so badly, but I was afraid to. After what happened on the Asgard ship, I changed my mind." She raised her face to his. "We came really close to dying. I promised myself that if we got out of it, that I'd take you up on your invitation, if it was still open."

"Always, Sam, always," Jack said. "I want you badly, but I care too much for you to rush you into anything. Let's take things slow, okay? We've both been hurt before, we need to make sure that this is what we both want." He leaned forward and kissed her lips lightly.

"How long?" she asked.

"As long as it takes. It could be two days, two months, or two years. I want you to be sure." His arms tightened slightly. "I've screwed up enough stuff in my life, I don't want to screw this up."

"I've had my share of screw ups, too," Sam said. "You're right. We'll take it slowly." She reached up and pulled his down to her and kissed him. Then she pulled away from him. "I'm hungry. Let's have lunch."

A grin broke out on his face. "You wish is my command, Major."

She leaned over and kissed him again. "I never thought I'd be commanding a Colonel."

"Hey, just this once, that's all." They both laughed and the tension was broken.



**************



That evening they sat in front of the fire wrapped in each other's arms, tired, but happy. Their time in this idyllic spot was coming to an end. They had only one more day here, which made them both feel a little sad, but they had found something that they'd both once been sure they'd never have.

"Hey, it's getting late. Time for bed," Jack stood and reached down for Sam's hands, pulling her to her feet. She leaned against him sleepily.

"I wish this day could last forever." She wound her arms around him.

"Mm, me too." Jack tipped her head back and kissed her. "But we'll have other days."

"Yes, we will," Sam said. Jack walked her to her door just like before. Leaning down, he kissed her.

"Good night, Sam," he said.

She reached up and caressed his face. "Are you sure you don't want to come in with me?"

"I do, but I think we should wait," Jack answered. "This is too important to risk."

"Then good night, Jack." Sam opened the door and went inside, closing it behind her. Jack laid his hand on the door as he'd done each night since they'd been there.

"Good night, Sam. Sweet dreams." He turned away and went into his own room.



*******************



She awoke to the feel of lips on the back of her neck. What a way to wake up, she thought. She smiled and turned over, giving the owner of the lips something to kiss other than the back of her neck.

"Good morning, sunshine," Jack said. "Time to rise and shine."

"Why? Are we going fishing again?" she asked.

"I wish. No, I just got a call from Hammond. We're needed back at the SGC ASAP," he answered.

Sam giggled. "That sounds funny." Then she realized what he had said. "What's wrong? Another emergency?" She sat up.

"No, not exactly. The Tollans want to meet with us again to discuss technology." Jack put his arms around her and ran his hands down her back. He leaned over and kissed her again.

When the kiss finally ended, Sam said, "Well, it's not an emergency, but it is important." She laid her head on his shoulder. "I guess we should get packed up and go back," she sighed reluctantly. Then her head popped back up. "How did Hammond know I was here?"

"He didn't. He said he didn't know where you were, so I told him I'd get in touch with you." He drew her head back to his shoulder. "I told him we'd both be back tomorrow night. If we leave now, we can stop overnight along the way, and be back in time for dinner tomorrow."

"Okay," she said. Pulling away from him, she threw back the covers. The next thing she knew, she was flat on her back with Jack above her. Sam smiled. "Are you trying to tell me something, flyboy?"

"Maybe," he said. He gave her a very thorough kiss.

"Well, unless you're prepared to deliver what you're promising right now, you'd better move," she said, "or," she flipped him over on his back, "prepare to be ravished within an inch of your life." She ground her hips into his, causing him to groan. He pulled his hands free from hers, and wrapped his arms around her, and rolled over, reversing their positions again. After kissing her one more time, he sat up and let her go.

"It's better if we wait until we get back to real life." Jack reached down and grabbed her hands, pulling her up. "And it's time we headed on back there." He pointed her in the direction of the door and gave her a light smack on the bottom.

"Hey," she said with mock indignance, "I'll have you know that I'm a major in the United States Air Force."

"Well, I'm a colonel in the United States Air Force. I outrank you." He pulled her into his arms for one more kiss. "Hit the showers, Major Carter." He released her.

Sam snapped to attention and saluted. "Yes, Sir, Colonel O'Neill, Sir!" She scooted into the bathroom and took her shower.

An hour later they were all packed up and headed back to Cheyenne Mountain and real life.



**********************



They arrived back in Colorado Springs late the next afternoon. After unloading Sam's luggage at her apartment, they rode back to Jack's house and dropped off his stuff, then they headed on over to the base. When they arrived there, General Hammond was informed and they were told to report immediately to the briefing room.

General Hammond, Daniel, and Teal'c were all waiting for them. When they arrived, they took their customary places at the table. General Hammond then proceeded to brief them about the meeting with the Tok'ra and Tollan representatives that was scheduled for the following morning on the Tollans world of Tollana. After giving them the information they needed for the meeting, he dismissed them.

"Get plenty of rest tonight people. I've got the feeling you're going to have a very long day tomorrow." General Hammond dismissed them, and left the briefing room.

"Well, Danny boy, how ya feeling?" Jack asked, once the general had left the room. "You're looking much better than the last time I saw you."

"I'm feeling much better, Jack. Uh, how was your vacation, Jack? Catch any fish?" Daniel asked nonchalantly.

Jack looked at him sharply. "A few, Daniel. Why?"

"Oh, just asking." Daniel looked over at Sam. "How was your vacation, Sam? Did you catch any fish?"

"Why do you ask if I caught any fish, Daniel?" Sam asked.

"I don't know, one minute I hear that you're gonna tear apart a naquadah reactor, the next you've taken off on vacation at the same time as Jack here." Daniel looked speculatively from one to the other. "Some coincidence, huh?"

"Yeah, Daniel, some coincidence," said Jack, a look passing between him and Sam.

Aha, Daniel thought. I've got you now. "And quite a coincidence that both of you arrived back at the base at the same time." Can't wiggle out of that one, can you?

"Yes, quite a coincidence," Sam said crossing her arms in front of her. "So what?"

"So what?" Daniel repeated her words.

"Yeah, so what?" Jack said. "Come on, Major, we have some preparations to make for our meeting with the Tok'ra and Tollan reps tomorrow." Jack and Sam left the briefing room and headed for Jack's office.

You're not fooling me, Daniel thought, grinning. I know you spent the last week together. He rubbed his hands together in glee. Janet owes me 50 bucks.



*******************



Jack and Sam managed to hold back the laughter until they were safely inside Jack's office. Daniel was so funny. He thought he knew something, and he did, but he had no proof.

"How long should we wait before we put him out of his misery?" Sam asked.

"Oh, just as long as we possibly can," Jack answered. "Wonder who he had a bet with?"

"You think he had a bet with someone about whether we went on vacation together?" Sam couldn't see Daniel betting, he was a terrible gambler.

"He probably thinks he has a sure thing." Jack locked the door of his office. Then he sat down in his chair and pulled Sam down on his lap.

"Colonel, I shouldn't be sitting on your lap like this," she said.

"Where else are you gonna sit? I don't have another chair." He gestured around his office.

Sam looked around his office and didn't see another chair. "No, you don't, sir. Thanks for sharing."

"You're welcome, Major," he said. So, due to the lack of an extra chair in Jack's office, Sam sat on Jack's lap as they discussed the meetings scheduled for the next day.



******************

Two days later . . .



Sam and Jack sat back on his sofa, their stockinged feet propped up on his coffee table drinking beer and watching the Colorado Rockies and the Atlanta Braves playing baseball on television. Jack's arm was around Sam's shoulder and her head was snuggled into his.

She yawned. "What is it about the Tollan that always wears me out?"

"Could it be their stiff, arrogant, and unyielding attitude?" Jack asked.

"Hmm, yes, it could be that." Sam laughed. "Dad told me that Selmac was even getting frustrated with them."

"Yeah, and old Selmac's got the patience of a saint." Jack chuckled. "It was good to see Dad again."

"Yes, it was. He asked me how long we'd been together," Sam said.

"You're kidding, he did?" Jack shook his head. "He doesn't miss anything does he?"

"Obviously not." Sam sat up and stretched. "Well, I guess it's time for me to go home."

"Would you like to stay?" Jack asked.

Sam looked at him and smiled. "I'd love to stay. Are you sure?"

"I was sure two days ago." Jack stood up and pulled her with him. "I just wanted you to be sure."

"I was sure two days ago, too." She put her arms around his waist and held him close. "I love you, Jack. I have for a long time. I don't know if hearing that bothers you, but I can't help it."

Jack held her tightly. "I love you, too, Sam." He bent his head and kissed her. "Hearing it makes me feel good."

Sam smiled. "Then, let's go to bed. It's been a long day."

And arms wrapped around each other, they walked down the hall and into the bedroom.



********************

The End