samandjack.net

Story Notes: EMAIL: melaniesmurthwaite@hotmail.com

CATEGORY: S/J ,Quantum mirror,

SPOILERS: none

SEASON / SEQUEL:A visitor at the SGC,

RATING: PG

CONTENT WARNINGS: None

SUMMARY: A suprise visitor comes to the SGC.

STATUS: complete

ARCHIVE: Yes please

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Thanks to Jamieson for beta-reading this for me.Couldn't of done it without you .


Samantha Carter-O'Neill sat gazing at the wonder that entered her life only two years ago. Danielle Teallie O'Neill was born on the 6th of December, 2002. She had beautiful, pale blue eyes and the most adorable brown curls. At present she was peacefully dropping off to sleep in her mothers arms. But when fully awake it could be said she was the spitting image of her father, causing more havoc than you could bare. But she was an angel and no one could resist her. She'd been named after her uncles Daniel and Teal'c, for she could find trouble as easily as her uncle Daniel, but was as strong mentally and physically as Teal'c.

Jack O'Neill walked quietly into his daughter's bedroom to find her curled up asleep in her mothers arms. He couldn't begin to fathom out what he'd done to deserve such angels, but thanked whichever God was watching over him for blessing him with a second chance at happiness. He stood there watching them both for a moment before walking slowly up to them. He gently lifted the now sleeping bundle and placed her in her crib before taking his wife's hand and helping her up.

"Come on, you look tired, lets go to bed," he wispered, so as not to wake Danielle.

"Yeah, I'm coming,"she replied.

So leaving the room in silence, they climbed into their own bed and were soon sound asleep in each others arms.

Sam was woken abruptly the next morning to the sound of the doorbell. Carefully, so as not to wake Jack, she got up to answer it. Looking through the peephole, she saw Daniel waiting patiently on the doorstep. So, unlocking the door, she let him in.

"Daniel do you know what time it is?" she asked.

"Yeah, sorry Sam, but General Hammond couldn't reach you so he sent me to get you." Daniel apologised.

"Get us for what?" she questioned. "It's Saturday morning and we're on downtime."

"Yeah, I, know. There's an emergency at the base, something to do with the quantum mirror," he explained.

"OK, we'll be down in a minute. Make yourself some coffee or something," She offered.

While Daniel went into the kitchen to get some coffee, Sam walked back into the bedroom to get Jack.

"Jack…Jack wake up! We're needed at the base," she told him.

"What? But we're on downtime, and plus we'll never get a babysitter at this time," he said.

"I know. I guess we'll just have to take her with us," Sam replied going off to wake Danielle.




*****




Sam strolled into the infirmary with Danielle. It had only taken them about ten minutes to get the base. So while she went to see if Janet could look after Danielle for a while, Jack and Daniel had gone of to speak to General Hammond. She noticed Janet at the other side of the room filling up a medical tray.

"Hey Janet, do you think you could look after Danielle for a while?" She asked the other woman.

"Sure Sam, I'd love to look after her, but what happened to the babysitter?" She wondered.

"You don't actually expect to get a babysitter at 5 o'clock in the morning, do you?" Sam joked

Janet picked up the adorable little girl who was comfortably seated in her mom's arms.

"Hey sweetie! Are you gonna stay with Auntie Janet for a while? Yeah?" Janet asked the child in a ridiculous voice.

Sam stood smiling at her daughter who was gurgling happily in her Aunt's arms. Janet loved Danielle as if she was her own, and knew if anything were was to happen to herself and Jack, Danielle would be safe and taken care of.

"So do you know what's going on with the quantum..." She was suddenly cut off from her question as Jack O'Neill walked into the room through the door, leading into the recovery room. Only it wasn't her Jack, for one, this one was a General.

"Hey Doc, ya got anything for a headache?" he questioned. "Sam?"

He just stood there looking at her as if he hadn't seen her for years. Maybe he hadn't?

"Oh sorry. Sam, this is General Jack O'Neill, General, this is Major Samantha Carter." Janet introduced them.

"Hey," Sam broke the silence first.

"Hey," came the AU Jack's reply.

"Eh, sorry to interrupt, but Sam, Danielle seems to think the General is her dad," Janet spoke to her friend.

"Well, he sure as hell looks like him! Come here, honey," Sam replied. "You want your daddy, huh?" she questioned the little girl.

"Excuse me, may I?" General O'Neill interrupted.

"Oh, sure," Sam handed Danielle over to the AU Jack.

"Hey, Danielle," he said soothingly. "That's a nice name, isn't it?" He spoke tenderly to the child.

"Hey Sam, honey, we just heard…" Jack was suddenly rendered silent at the sight of his baby girl in his AU self's arms.

"Jack, honey, this is General Jack O'Neill," Sam introduced them.

"Hey," was all that the AU Jack could manage to say.

"Nice to meet you, it's not very often I get to meet an AU version of myself who's alive," Jack answered sarcastically.

He moved over to the infirmary bed and sat down on it, Sam then joined him standing between his legs. He gazed at the AU version holding his daughter so naturally. It was like seeing himself holding her but not actually holding her.

"So, what brings you to this next neck of the woods?" Wondered Jack

"I'd like to ask a favour," the AU Jack explained.

"What? " Daniel chirped in, he'd been standing in silence in the doorway.

"I'd like to go home," AU Jack continued.

"Well obviously, but why did you come here in the first place?" wondered Sam, who was now leaning back into Jack's chest with his arms around her waist.

"Well you see, I didn't mean to come to this universe.It was a mistake," the AU Jack explained.

"And you'd like to get home. But that might be a problem because we don't have a mirror anymore," Sam told him.

"Not a problem, Major," came the stern voice of General Hammond from the doorway.

"What do you mean, General?" Jack questioned.

"Seems Maybourne didn't obey my order to destroy the mirror," the General told them. "Well, lets get the man home people."




*****




"Hey, Sam, can I talk to you for a minute?"

The AU Jack came into Sam's lab where she was trying to figure out the Quantum mirror. She'd been there for a couple of hours trying to get it to work. Because Maybourne couldn't get it to work, he broke it instead.

"Sure. What's up, General?" Sam asked

"Well, firstly, call me Jonathan so you don't get mixed up with your Jack," he answered. "And secondly, you love your Jack, don't you?"

"I wouldn't have married him if I didn't….Why?" Sam wondered.

"Do you think my Sam loved me?" He mumbled, not really wanting to say it.

"I'm sure she does. Aren't you two together?" Sam asked.

"We used to be," Jonathan stated.

"What happened?" Sam asked, not knowing if she wanted to hear it.

"She stepped on a land mine on P3X 672. There was so much blood…we tried to get her back to the gate, but she didn't make it. She died in my arms. I never even got to tell her…I loved her," he stuttered through his words.

Sam had never seen Jack break down before now. Even though it wasn't her Jack, it still seemed like her Jack.

She took him over to sit down in one of the chairs. She sat there for a moment, watching him. After a while, he regained some of his composure.

"Sorry about that," Jonathan apologized.

"It's okay," Sam reassured him.

"Thanks for listening. You didn't have to," he thanked her, getting up to go.

"I like to listen to people's problems. I also always know when people have problems, especially Jack O'Neill," Sam explained.

She walked him to the door and gave him a hug before he left.

"Thanks," Jonathan said again.

"No problem," Sam replied. "See ya at the debriefing."

"Yeah, see you," he answered.

She watched him head off down the corridor. //So different, yet so alike,// She thought to herself, returning to her lab to finish with the mirror.




*****




Seven people sat around the table in the briefing room. General Hammond was seated at the end with Colonel Jack O'Neill on his left and Dr Daniel Jackson on his right. On the right of O'Neill sat Major Samantha Carter and Dr. Janet Fraiser, and ton Daniel's left sat General Jack O'Neill and Teal'c.

"Okay people, lets get this de-briefing underway," General Hammond started. "How is the mirror coming along Major?"

"Well sir, we're ready to test it, so as soon as that's done, General O'Neill can go whenever he's ready," Carter reported.

"Good. Doctor? Have you anything to report?" Hammond questioned the Doctor.

"No sir. The General is in fine shape physically and mentally. But I wouldn't chance him staying much longer, just in case," Fraiser answered him.

"Colonel? Do you have anything to add?"

"No sir. I think everything's been covered, don't you?" Jack replied.

"Well then, General, as soon as you've said your good-byes and are ready to go, you may go home. Dismissed."

Everyone raised from their seats as the General left the room. Sam was gathering her things from the table as she felt a hand on her shoulder. Instantly expecting it to be Jack, she turned around, only to find Jonathan standing behind her.

"Look, I just wanted to say thanks again for listening to me in your lab. You didn't have to, and I know it was probably hard for you to find out your alternate self had died. So, thank you, for being there," Jonathan thanked, looking at his shoes the whole time. "And also for finding a way to get me home. I really appreciate it."

"Your welcome! I would have done it for anyone,"Sam replied. "I gotta go test the mirror .See ya later."

With that, she walked out of the room, leaving only Jonathan standing in the middle of the floor, still finding his shoes very interesting. Even though the room had been long cleared.




***********************************************************************




Everyone had gathered in the Gate room to see Jonathan off. Even Danielle had gone to see him go. The test on the mirror had been successful and Jonathan had said all his good-byes. There were just two people left to say farewell to, Jack and Sam.

Reaching out to give Sam a hug he whispered in her ear. "Thanks for giving me a chance to say goodbye to Sam. I never deserved a second chance, but I'm glad I got one. Bye."

Letting her go he walked over to Jack. Jack offered his hand to him which he gladly accepted.

"You've got something good. Don't make the same mistake I did and not tell her, because either of you might die tomorrow."

With those last words, he made his way to the mirror, placed his hand on It, and was gone. Sam and Jack were the last to leave to Gate room. Janet had taken Danielle, so they were alone. Placing his arm around Sam's waist, they made their way out of the room. As the blast doors shut behind them, the last words you could hear were those three little words that everyone longs to hear all their lives.

"I Love You."




The End.



End Notes: Sorry a didnt think theyd sent if they had ignore this.

Mel. Sg9,Sg1 Special Forces and Academy. Keeper of: Jacks watch and "I'm not gonna hit you Maybourne.....I'm gonna shoot you"